The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just moved from Jersey to the Lizard (Cornwall) and would appreciate making contact with any local lure anglers. I am interested in continuing the bass fishing that was the mainstay of my 7 years in Jersey but also returning to Pike which were my passion before that.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hey Chris! Welcome abourd! I'm up near Padstow but there are plenty on here from down your way. Most of the Cornish boys on here do seem to be South coast. We're all meeting up around Looe on Sunday 11th April if you fancy coming up? Check out the meets section for details. Most of us have never met so it should be a good laugh.

Reactions: Chris Newton

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Hey Chris! Welcome abourd! I'm up near Padstow but there are plenty on here from down your way. Most of the Cornish boys on here do seem to be South coast. We're all meeting up around Looe on Sunday 11th April if you fancy coming up? Check out the meets section for details. Most of us have never met so it should be a good laugh.
If only I could justify £50 ferry IoM to Liverpool, £40(?) train to Cornwall, £40(?) B+B!!!!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Go on mate, you're in spending mode at the mo! It's only another £200!! (he says- whilst secretly wondering if he's going to be able to afford to buy that loaf of bread tomorrow! Lol )

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ben, Thanks for your response. I knew from **** Ward that there were some keen bass anglers down here and it will be good to meet you all and share ideas once I find my feet.
I have obviously cast my eye over the local marks and many of them look capable of producing fish. If anyone has any specific info on the marks down here at the bottom of the Lizard then I would be grateful for being pointed in the right general direction ( I appreciate that I will need to put the hours in myself to finesse this down to hotspots/tides/times etc. One of my most productive hotspots in Jersey took me 3 years to find and it was only about half a mile from my house! It only fished on tide of over 32ft and then for only about twenty minutes on the flood before you had to retreat to avoid drowning).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to Cornwall Chris it is ace down here matey unfortunately I can't comment on The Lizard as I have never fished it. But I am sure as you have said there will be some hotspots to find. Good luck with your new stomping ground and I hope you enjoy your discoveries down there.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hello and welcome Chris just thought I should recommend Kennack Sands, its on the eastern side of the lizard and have fished it a couple of times. There is a very tasty reef at low tide just the other side of a small hill/point that separates the two beaches. Always best to go at low to scope it out and see for yourself. Am going to get down that way a bit more often this season to do some searching myself! The cornish meet that Ben is organising should be great and chance to meet alot of new people(nice one Ben!). I'm really looking forward to it and may see you there?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi to Martin, Nathan and Luke. Thanks for the welcome guys. it is good to know that there are other folks around who enjoy chucking lures for bass.

Luke, Kennack is very near to me and I have had a walk over the reef you mentioned as it looked pretty good from the cliff path and I can see that it should hold some fish. What i heve not seen here yet are the extensive shallow gulley systems that are common on Jersey's south coast. It could be that I have just not found them yet or that the tidal range/geology is not right for that sort of terrain.

Any thoughts on the big tidal creeks, do they produce any bass?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hi Ben, Thanks for your response. I knew from **** Ward that there were some keen bass anglers down here and it will be good to meet you all and share ideas once I find my feet.
I have obviously cast my eye over the local marks and many of them look capable of producing fish. If anyone has any specific info on the marks down here at the bottom of the Lizard then I would be grateful for being pointed in the right general direction ( I appreciate that I will need to put the hours in myself to finesse this down to hotspots/tides/times etc. One of my most productive hotspots in Jersey took me 3 years to find and it was only about half a mile from my house! It only fished on tide of over 32ft and then for only about twenty minutes on the flood before you had to retreat to avoid drowning).
Hi Chris,

I don't know the area unfortunately but you do get some nice strong tides down that way I think. You'll probably find it quite different to Jersey though. Much less in the way of tide overall. So many spots to head for down that way though (looks it on Google earth anyway!).

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
HI Chris Welcome envy the position you are in Choice of North or South with only a short journey Happy hunting

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hi to Martin, Nathan and Luke. Thanks for the welcome guys. it is good to know that there are other folks around who enjoy chucking lures for bass.

Luke, Kennack is very near to me and I have had a walk over the reef you mentioned as it looked pretty good from the cliff path and I can see that it should hold some fish. What i heve not seen here yet are the extensive shallow gulley systems that are common on Jersey's south coast. It could be that I have just not found them yet or that the tidal range/geology is not right for that sort of terrain.

Any thoughts on the big tidal creeks, do they produce any bass?
Chris the only place I can recommend for amazing gulley filled reef is up on the north coast anywhere between Crackington Haven and Hartland quay the geology up there is such that the rock bedding has been turned 90 degrees and harder rock is left while the softer rock is weathered away by the sea. If you can imagine tall fins of rock running out to sea with sand/shingle filled gullies inbetween that is whats there and there is alot of it. I recommend for starters you head for bude and pull in on widemouth bay there is extensive reef either end of this very long beach with said gullies. Have seen some very decent bass come out of there, shame I was more into surfing when I went there regularly need to go back and apply what I have learnt in the last couple of years!!
In my experience tidal creeks are well worth a go but go subtle as the water is so calm anyway too much splashing and disturbance will scare them off. I'm gonna do more night sessions in these areas and try the xlayers with no or small weight.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The Bude area is sounding like it may be a good area to head to for our next Cornish group excursion! We did contemplate it before. Only the swell being so unpredictable stopped the planning. If we're not planning anything massive though and allow ourselves to change plans at the last minute, it could probably happen in future.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Can't wait! Avoiding the crowds will be the only hard bit.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Jeremy, very good shout for welcome mouth used to spend alot of time surfing camping there plus good mates with the pub landlord in the village. You have marsland there too so tons of ground to cover. Let me know if you're going as will make the trip up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts