The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
using 14lb fire line at the mo intending to go up to 20lb
thinking of either 20lb fireline crystal,20lb power pro,or 30lb whiplash crystal
i've only used fireline before, any recomemdations?
cheers colin

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
using 14lb fire line at the mo intending to go up to 20lb
thinking of either 20lb fireline crystal,20lb power pro,or 30lb whiplash crystal
i've only used fireline before, any recomemdations?
cheers colin
If you want to move to a better and 'just as easy to use' braid then .23 20lbs Powerpro is brilliant.
Its not the thinnest braid out there but its trouble free and reliable.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Have just loaded up my new reel with Daiwa Tournament 8 braid & so far v impressed.
30lb is .16 but wouldn't mind betting its slimmer. Also seems very smooth. Not fished with it yet, but have had good reports from Ben Field.
300 yard spool & i got the accudepth colour change, so it was easy to measure off what i need & keep plenty for reload later on.
I got mine from Veals4carp in Brizzle. Different shop from the main mail order/online Veals. Cheaper than anywhere else, £2 for post and arrived next day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
300 yard spool & i got the accudepth colour change, so it was easy to measure off what i need & keep plenty for reload later on.
I saw this in Veals a few weeks back and picked up a spool. Just wondering though how the accudepth colour change thing works and how it helped you to measure what was going onto the spool? Can't see any explanation on the packet and am yet to load it onto my reel.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Isn't that braid with the coloured sections mainly for when fishing vertical from a boat? So you can see quickly what depth you are fishing at?

·
Registered
362 Posts
As Mark says, colour change is to aid estimation of depth.
There are 5 diferent colours, each 10mtrs long, repeated 6 times.
So, i started on the blue, wind on, through the colours, when you get to the 3rd blue you know you've got 150mtrs on.
but also a good guide for distance when casting.
....and it looks pretty!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Another thing to look at.
The NEW Fireline braid in green is totally different to the old grey stuff.
The new line is a true braid without the fused coating which made Fireline hard.
But beware the picture on the box shows 8 carrier construction, however this only applies to some of the heavy lines.
The thinner lines are 4 carrier like Whiplash or Powerpro.
I have some 15lb & it is very good.

·
Registered
323 Posts
do you get sunline braid over there very good strong and thin ideal for lure fishing inthe lighter fishing ie 2lb -10lb fireline14lb will break at 18-20lb not to long before we get fireline braid?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
We wish Pete! We'd have to get it in from abroad at the moment. It's only recently though that applications for lighter braids have increased - so oldschool classics like Power Pro and Fireline have been the main sellers. People are starting to understand the advantages of finer braids and lighter tackle now though, so it's one area that will surely continue to improve in the next couple of years. Hopefully as a result we'll have easier access to more quality braid options. Power Pro and Fireline still do their job nicely for our standard saltwater plugging, but their weaknesses start to show with the lighter stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts