The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have just joined the forum and would like to introduce myself and ask a question at the same time.

My name is Andy and live in Norfolk. I have just got back into sea fishing after 25 years. Having great fun dumping wadges of cash into my local tackle shop and re-learning how to get some distance into my cast.

I have never used a lure in my life. I am hoping to pick your brains over the next few months on technique and the huge variety of lures etc that there seems to be out there. It is a little daunting to be honest.

My main question is "Which spinning rod to go for?" I am after a travel rod and am looking at the Daiwa Wilderness XT 6 section and the Snowbee Deep Blue 4 section. My preference would be the Daiwa because it can be made up into a 9ft or 11ft rod. But I hesitate because it is in 6 sections. Has anyone found this to be a problem with reference to handling etc? Or would the 9ft Snowbee be better. I will be using them from the beach initially.

Any help or pointers would be well recieved

Cheers,

Andy B

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I have the Daiwa Wilderness 6 piece. It's 'ok' on short sessions, but on longer plugging sessions, to be honest, it's a little on the heavy side. I use mine moreso as a light Bass rod (surf fishing) these days, as it will handle up to 2oz.

There are better out-and-out Plugging rods out there. I'm pretty sure that Savagear do one (cant remember the name), and i'm sure that there's a thread on here somewhere that mentions about travel rods.

Anyway - well done on joining the forum - and well done on getting stuck in with a cracking first post !!! :clap:

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Hi Andy,

I have to agree with Simon on all his points, I have one and took it away last year and within 2 hours my arms were very tired, it is a well made rod but made for bait sessions I think !

Welcome to the forum and great first port :-D

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Andy.

I would advise a shorter rod of around 8ft to be honest. Plenty of nice examples out there, but it depends on your budget?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum and to lure fishing. I was in a similar situation a year ago and know where you're coming from. Be prepared for an all-consuming obsession.

The fashion around here tends to be for short (7-9'), light (<200g), fast-actioned (stiff!!) rods. Perfect for imparting action/life into modern lures. There are plenty of models to chose from nowadays, at most price points.

As for travel rods of a similar spec, there's the Savage Gear Roadrunner (7 foot, 10-30g casting weight, 150g weight, 5 pieces, £60) or the Hart Bloody Trek (8 or 9', 15- 40g or 20-60g - I think, £180) available from mrfishjersey.com. Quantum also make some but I don't know what the action is like. Search the forum for 'travel rod' to see a previous thread of mine amongst others.

Some of these rods are now available at veals.co.uk, but they aslo have a good selection of more traditional multi section travel rods including their own Mike Ladle range, some of which are made for them by Daiwa. Shimano have a large range of travel rods which are widely available.

I hope that this has been of some help and gives you a good starting point.

Tones.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'd been using a shimano exage travel rod - 5 piece - either 8ft or 9 ft depending on which sections you put in and reasonably light and with a good action. i was pleased with it but got a bit miffed with lining up 5 sections every time i put it together. i got a 2 piece grauvell 802 and haven't used the shimano since. same length but a much sharper action and way better for working topwater plugs. the shimano was absolutely fine with sub surface plugs but a bit whippy with poppers etc. its way easier to put a bit of action into something like a sammy with the grauvell for example.

i think i paid £60 for the shimano - prob money well spent as it looks like it'll last for yrs if i need a travel rod. if i dont need a travel rod the grauvell is better for what i'm after.

hope the above makes some sort of sense.....

Reactions: Steve Lewis

·
Registered
216 Posts
Good point Burko. Mr Fish advised me to get a 2-piece rod as my main rod, due to lining up the sections, when he could have encouraged me to get the Hart, which was twice the price of the Quantum that I went with. The Quantum has plenty of back bone (stiffness!!) for working suface poppers, but I also got a 10-30g Bushwhacker, which I prefer for casting lures under 20g. Another point to bear in mind Andy, many of the popular modern high end lures are less than 20g and many of the more traditional spinning rods are rated 20-60g, for example. If you intend to use lighter lures, then a lighter rod is probably the way to go. However, if it's distance you're after, then a longer rod with heavier lures might be preferable. If you're anything like the rest of us, then you'll probably have more than one rod in a matter of months. Did I mention that this bass lure fishing can become quite addictive? And we haven't even started on lures!

Good luck!
Tony.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Andy are you after a travel rod for travelling with (holidays) or just for convenience of size for in the car????

I have the Shimano Exage travel rod & a Mike Ladle 4 sure spin travel rod. They are convenient to leave in the car in their hard case for occasional use when at home & a handy size to fit in a suitcase for holidays. However as stated they are not as good as a two piece rod, if it is to be your main bit of fishing kit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thanks for the replies. I was looking to buy a travel rod to take with me in the car to the Gironde in July. Big beaches apparently so I thought I might need something with a bit of oomph to get me over the breakers.

I have an Anyfish Anywhere 12ft lure and bait to use in-between feeding lugworm to the crabs with my beachcasters, but it is a little to long to take in the car. So a rod that will break down into three or four sections would be ideal.

I've got circa £130 to spend so I will have a look at the rods you chaps have kindly offered up.

If anyone has fished down in the Gironde I would be all ears on marks to fish from.

Cheers,

Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts