The Lure Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've recently moved from the Sussex coast to landlocked Berkshire, it was a seriously tough decision but the new job was worth it - funnily enough my new pad is a 2 minute walk to the banks of the River Enbourne and River Kennet and Kennet and Avon Canal; not to mention numerous trout fisheries.

I've started fly fishing which is much harder than it looks but I managed my first rainbow on the the fly whilst getting casting tuition, but recently I've ventured along the River Kennet on the hunt for the elusive 4lb Perch.

So on Saturday I took a walk along the River Kennet with a new rod secured from HRH Jones - Graphiteleader Bosco Nuovo GLNBS-642L. Much to my utter delight I hooked in a few nice brown trout, one, a new PB, going 42 cm on the old bass stained TLF ruler - I have to say I wasn't expecting it but it made my day. Such pretty things and fight well! They all fell to a No.1 Mepps.
Now off to Europe with my Shore Dragon to catch some proper fish. :muttley:Thanks for reading and tight lines.

Peter.

The Trout hole

Kennet Brownie and new PB @ 42cm

Kennet Brownie

Weir Brownie

Weir Perch

Weir Perch

1st Rainbow on the fly rod

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the pics, it looks like the locations you fished are fantastic! Have you fished for freshwater species much before? Great effort either way!
Thanks Jim, it's pretty special down there. Beautifully managed land and rivers. I've only fished for winter pike really as the bass fishing was great most of the year. Now I've moved I need to keep busy with these fellas and take more sea holidays!

One thing I am not sure about it whether this is a real wild brownie, hybrid (if there is such a thing) or stocked. Is there any way of telling? It's primarily a chub and barbel river!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Being landlocked is not so bad, Peter. It makes trips to the coast a bit more special perhaps, and once you're fully immersed in the hunt for a 4lb perch you'll forget all about those silly silver sea fish (or maybe not). I too am a bit obsessed by big river perch, but be warned, finding them can be as hard as jockey's bollocks. Good luck

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Most of my winter Saturdays are spent in that area Peter, on the k&a, I love the perch fishing and there used to be some really good pike, sadly mostly gone now.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Some cracking pics there Peter. Well done.

Stocked fish are so much better these days than they used to be , and in a river like that they would condition up pretty quickly and become almost as good as wild.

For my money the big one looks more like a well conditioned stocked fish. Not doubt about the smaller ones though - absolute creatures of beauty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts