The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
chaps,to those that fish new marks first light but have not checked out the venue prior,heres one place i fished that could catch someone out,nearly caught me out[fog]...carfai.maybe we could start listing hidden dangers on marks for future refrence.no point sending spitty to carfai lol

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Lucky man there Darren that would not be good for the body at all...

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Not so much a hidden danger, but experience has taught me to CHECK that I have mobile reception. So many things that could catch you out, falling on reef or rocks. Twisting/breaking an ankle on slippery weed. All bad, but a hundred times worse IF you can't summon help.
Make sure you have a signal, keep the phone somewhere waterproof-maybe invest in a sealable pouch. Especially if you fish alone.
It just isn't worth the risk.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Wise words Dave

Racing tides don't mix with fog, so however well I know an area I usually carry an orienteering compass in my wader pocket just in case. This comes in handy for lots of things, including bearings on boats, features and other anglers (sneaky).

I've heard we have also got a few unexploded WW2 shells and stuff out at the low water mark over here (a long way from land). You wouldn't need a solid tipped LRF rod to feel one of those "bite" (pass me that red harp), but if a your 'phone was in a pouch at least it might survive the next high tide.

Seriously, remember to leave some air in the pouch and to clip the lanyard to your jacket.

·
Registered
292 Posts
some of the marks i fish i get no phone signal at all anyway my dad bought me a small waterproof ship to shore radio . now i know there not supposed to be used from land but in the case of an emergency like a bad tumble in to the drink do you think it would be deemed iresponsible to use it?

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
No not at all Keith, I think the general rule is if you dont have a VHF licence you shouldnt be using one and talking on it, but in an emergency I think its fully understandable and you would probably be praised by the authorities for carrying it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Sadly there is little or no mobile reception at the majority of marks I fish at. Generally I fish with my son or a companion so I feel at less risk than if I was alone. If I do fish alone I try and make sure it is at a mark I know quite well and know where the risks are. In general though, I am a "fair weather" angler so I am prehaps at less risk than some who go out in all sorts of conditions. All good advice above though - thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I agree with ****.

I've got one - great for peace of mind. Remember they ain't just for calling the 'services', that boat a mile offshore might just help you first.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Great idea lads if it could help you when you were in trouble then its well worth the investment as for having a liscence to use it,if you were to do everything by the book we would never get anything done in this world....

·
Registered
949 Posts
Best advice I have is if fishing alone somewhere remote the very best thing you can do is tell someone you trust where you are going and what time you will be back. And above all stick to it, or communicate changes to your plan while you still have a signal.
If fishing dodgy areas with a mate, where you are likely to be venturing apart, cheap walkie talkies are a good idea.
Dont take risks on flooding tides
Dont attempt dodgy climbs
Try and make allowances for fatigue.
As the great man said "A man's gotta know his limitations":wink:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree with ****.

I've got one - great for peace of mind. Remember they ain't just for calling the 'services', that boat a mile offshore might just help you first.
good shout that julian ,haven't took it out with me yet as he only recently bought it me i think going on the course and getting a licence would be a good idea .

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Interesting that....I fish on my own quite a bit...and in areas where there is no mobile coverage too....that could be money well spent

·
Registered
540 Posts
great post guys! I had my own boat for several years a 17ft wilson flyer and did various courses including my vhf short range certificate via the rya in barry. Think the course cost around £100 and lasted 1 day. i had a fixed unit on the boat and also a handheld vhf but alas sold the lot when i got into sewin ans salmon!!!! the vhf radio has to be registered aswell in Bristol i done mine same place as the tv licensing!!! some decent low cost ones available so may get one and carry it "just in case"!!!

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
some of the marks i fish i get no phone signal at all anyway my dad bought me a small waterproof ship to shore radio . now i know there not supposed to be used from land but in the case of an emergency like a bad tumble in to the drink do you think it would be deemed iresponsible to use it?
I've just done (last weekend) my Short Range VHF (£99) (£25 Licence as well?)
All through the day it was emphasised that it is an emergency system. Was also emphasised that you shouldn't use it from the shore - "it's easier to use your mobie"
That said, the repeated emphasis, over and over, was that it is, first and foremost, a safety device. Therefore you absolutely would not be ignored if you used it from the shore.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.