The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought new quatum reel and first lot of braid need some advice on how much backing and how much braid to load ? 25 lb braid yamoto 4 strand

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Best thing to do mate is (since you've got a spare spool), firstly wind on all the braid. Then tie on the mono backing and load that over the top, until you reach about 3mm under the spool lip. Then cut the mono and take the spool off. Put the other (spare) spool on to the reel and tie the mono that youve just loaded on to the other spool. Now wind the mono and braid on from the first spool. As you wind it on you'll first load the mono, then reach the braid. When you get to the end of that it'll be left at exactly the right level :)

Also, when your loading the braid originally, place it in a bowl of water. This'll help it load flat, bed in well, and not twist.

P.s. Load it tight too. I usually hold a towel between my fingers and run the braid in a couple of loops through it to keep it taught.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
ok backing with braid? i have always used braided backing on my fly reels and old lure reels i have always loaded braid all of the way through to the sppol itself and only used a casting leader.
Am i abnormal?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Mike, the mono stretches when being reeled on, when the spool chills down in winter the mono goes with it and therefore the braid does not 'slip' or rotate around the spool (it can be prone to this if you do not use mono).

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Complete weirdo Mike :muttley:

In this case, I don't think it actually matters. What it does make sense to do is not use a mono that is too thick - to make usre that fine braid doesn't get lost between the wraps and the mono edge is flatter - but the difference in the end result should be zero (mono/fly).

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
right with you, so if i am going to load 6lb braid on my lrf reel what lb mono should i use as backing and with my main reels loading 20lb braid mono lb?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts