The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I am getting a 9 weight rod for general 'into the wind' fishing and I think I have settled on a Greys rod as a compromise between what I want and what I can afford! The rod would also serve should I be lucky enough to ever go somewhere after Bonefish.

I always get a bit anal about having very light reels on my 4 or 5 weight rods when nymphing for trout but is this such a concern when inevitably, I am not fishing as subtly with a 9 weight?

Anyone got any recomendations for a reel?

While I am at it, I will probably get a sink tip and a slow sinking line but is this the right idea?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Lines cortland ghost tip alwats served me well . als the outbound shooting heads mate the floating and intermedite have floating shooting lines akin to sink tips too.
Reels are different what price range? on my 9's i used the snowbee geo cassette version change from 200 quid with spare spools to carry an assortment of lines sealed drag and never let me down and i treated them like crap mate.
I tried a couple of airflo reels they fell apart after a season, greys reels didnt like continued use in the salt may have been different if i cleaned them properly i just never bothered. though i f i was buying again snowbee geo all the way mate.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response!

Mike, I have spent a fortune on ultra light ULA Waterworks and Sage fly reels for trout fishing but given the effect of saltwater I was inclined to go around the £100-120 mark in case it dies! I hadnt thought about shooting heads (Doh!) and I guess they would be an excellent way of getting distance.

Alex, thats a nice looking reel even if a tad heavy. Not that I would know, but that should stop a Bone!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Andrew,
Honest money no concideration answer Tibor RipTide, one of the best reels I have ever used, relatively light for it's size. Worth every penny.
Line wise sink tips in salt suck, go for a intermediate line, one of the Rio cold water striper lines is a good starting point. Cast very well to.

·
Banned
58 Posts
reel

Just back from my second trip to Andros - using the same reels that i have used for bass fishing in ireland for the past few years and last year at Andros - all landing Cuda, Dolphin, Lemon shark, jacks and > than 100 bones best to 8lbs - with five years of Irish SWFF + 20 days at the Bahamas cant fault em really

Danielsson LW 6/9 - or lighter models

bendy -Jim

·
Registered
67 Posts
My swff set up

Rio outbound (short head ) wf9f
Rio striper WF9I (clear intermediate)

Orvis battenkill mid arbor

this set will not break the bank, and has treated me really well, I really happy with the reel.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Andrew, Don't worry about bonefish, they are quite possibably the most over hyped saltwater sportfish ever. I used to use a loop reel, no drag, just tension to stop over runs, never had a fish take more than 60 yardsa of backing.
a 5lb jack will out fight a 10lb bonefish by about 3 to 1 both on power and endurance.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hi Andrew

I would recommend either a Snowbee XS 780 or an Orvis Mach IV for quality and value.

Neither are in production anymore I dont think, but you can pick them up on flea bay brand new for around £65. Both won multiple best in test LA reel awards in Trout Fisherman for what thats worth. They have fantsatic drags and very large backing capacity. You can also pick up a cartridge version of the Snowbee (but watch out there is a dicast one but you dont want one of those for SWFF)

I had mine for trout fishing and they were totally over the top but they have switched over to SWFF really well.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. Great advice and very useful.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Andrew - when you get your rod go to Sportfish in Reading and you can try reels all day to find what you are happy with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts