The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ive seriously got the plugging bug and would like up grade my spinning rod. ive currently got a 5 piece shimano exage S.T.C 2.70m 15- 40 gram rod. although i like the rod i would like to get one in maybe 2 or 3 piece instead.

My budget would be a maximum of £200 for the rod.

And i will probably be up grading my reel soon aswell.

There are so many rods on the market it is confusing the hell out of me so any recomendations or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated, and what i need to look for in a lure rod.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Llyr, as mentioned in the Shout Box, your best bet before spending your hard-earned, is to have a waggle for yourself. In the Welsh Bumbling mob, you have just about everything . . . Rod Bar, Supermix, Injection, Red Luck Super Distance, Megabass Xor, Bushwhackers, Shukans, Rookies, Quantums . . the list goes on !! So there's no need to try without buying.

Locally, if you head over to HR Jones in Clydach, you can have a waggle of a Teklon or the new AFAW rods too (plus he's doing the Lure Forum 10% discount if you manage to get 100 posts under your belt ;)).

A rod is a very personal thing, and different people like different rods & their differing actions.

Try before you buy young padawan :p.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mate, yeah i was planning on trying first dont worry. i just like to know my options and whether or not i should put a little more moeny in the pot ;).

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Llyr - that budget gives you no end of choice. Apart from preference on length and action, you ned to think about what sort of lures you tend to favour and then get a rod matched to that discipline. For instance, Si now has two SP outfits (light and lighter!) and a plugging outfit (or two :)). If you want an all rounder then I think you are in Teklon AFAW, Bushwacker territory. I use an 8'6" Bushawcker for most fishing and a Quantum Energy Bass 240 for heavier plugging.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Llyr - that budget gives you no end of choice. Apart from preference on length and action, you ned to think about what sort of lures you tend to favour and then get a rod matched to that discipline. For instance, Si now has two SP outfits (light and lighter!) and a plugging outfit (or two :)). If you want an all rounder then I think you are in Teklon AFAW, Bushwacker territory. I use an 8'6" Bushawcker for most fishing and a Quantum Energy Bass 240 for heavier plugging.
thanks for your reply, i mainly use hard lures that are very light 11gms,( although i do use tobies up to 18 g) or so with alot of surface lures of the same weight. I dont really use SPs alot however am looking to increase this usage.

So i guess im looking for one rod to cover all basis if im honest as i cant afford to have a rod thats specific to each area. I am very interested in the AFAW rods of which ive read quite alot on here as of late.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Can vouch for the AFAW rods as bought one from Ben Field at Art Of Fishing yesterday and have had 3 bass already! I chose the 8ft and is basically an all rounder. Have caught on the patchinko2 and megabass xlayers so that covers quite a range of styles and the rod handles both amicably.

·
Banned
792 Posts
look and try the old bushwhackers at Weymouth...
The 8.6 is a really nice rod and leaves you enough for some more plugs and a reel.

Cheers
Thomas

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Llyr, I started off with the same rod as you and, not really understanding the pro's and cons of all the options on the market, opted for a Shimano Speedmaster Saltwater Type. I'm not too keen on the sliding reel seat, and at 9' it may be a touch too long, but as a mid price range all rounder (10-50g) it does (in my opinion) tick all the relevant boxes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts