The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right gents i'm after a bit of advice ,i fancy a newrod and reel i've got £200 to go at so far on my rod shortlist are Sakura rookie,Abu fantasia azora and the Grauvell teklon spin, not really thought about a reel as i thought i better choose a rod first .Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Maybe a daft question but what are you planning to use it for? Hard lures? Soft plastics?

I'm sure people can help you make your mind up but it's important to know what you want out of it first :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mainly shallow divers and surface work as most of my marks are very shallow i know not one rod can do everything but something that can handle both these methods well would be ideal.cheers .

·
Registered
849 Posts
In that case...

The Teklon Concept spin is a very nice rod, the 8' version will do everything you need and more by all accounts, I have the 8'3 rod which is a bit stiffer as I wanted a proper pluggin rod to compliment my supermix. The 8'3 rod is too stiff for softies though so if you're planning to use the odd soft plastic go for the 8'.

Having said that I now have a Sakura Rookie but it's the 6' light rod so I dont know about the longer pluggin Rookie's but the one I have is a very nice little rod. I'm very happy with it.
Talk to **** at Mrfish about the rookies, I'm sure he has more choice in stock than is listed on his website so best to give him a call and find out what he's got.

With both being roughly the same price I dont think you'll go wrong with either.

·
Registered
647 Posts
ive got the 8ft 6 rookie myself and am very please with it...very pleased the the quality for the money.

i use mainly shallow divers and i cant fault it. (have also used sp's with a 10g jighead with no probs)

i used a 4000 rareanium on it for a while but now use a 3000 daiwa coastal inshore which is a bit heavier and i find the balance better for me.

I here good things about the bushwackers and there are some good deals around on them...maybe worth a look if you go for a more expensive reel.

But if you want some advice you cant fault **** at Mr Fish...he was very helpfull

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys still not decided between the grauvell and the sakura would like to know if anyone has seen or used both and which in thier opinion is better made as that will swing it for me ,And any ideas on reels welcome am willing to go a little over budgettoo cheers guys

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gonna go for the sakura i think would just like to know if anyone who has used one thinks they will perform casting heavier lures like a patchinko ,also ideas on a reel to match would be great sorry for all the questions but this is quite a major investment to me so want to get it right thanks guys

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Evening Keith. I don't have the Rookie, but have had the Sakura Shukan for some time now. Gorgeous rod, and very well made. You'll have no issues with heavier lures - the Patchinko will go miles on it, and the Zonk will give you White-Finger ;). I initially used a Technium 4000 on mine, but now am a firm fan of the Rareniums.

If i were you, i'd stick a Rarenium 4000 on the Rookie - it'll be a stunning combo.

I know that Alun had a problem with his Rarenium, but there are a few of us now with Rareniums, and Alun is the only one who has been unlucky enough to have a problem, so i still have no issue with recommending them (i even bought the 3000 also, as i am so impressed with them).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks simon the rarenium may be a bit too much for me orginally had a budget of 200 hundred but the rareniums are all but 150 as is the rod was willing to break the budget a bit but that may be pushing it will give it some thought though thanks fella.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks ben but would rather stick to shimano or daiwa now willing to go to 150 if needed but would rather not got a stradic 4000 gtm rb but hate it too fast a retrieve

·
Registered
63 Posts
hi keith,i would prob go for the 8 foot tecklon with everything ive read about it paired up with a okuma trio. just bought one of these reels and am well impressed with it,but if money wasnt a problem id have a rarenium

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks graham already bought the rookie do you or anybody know of any where i can get the rarenium for 150 deliverd cheers

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers alun i really fancy a rarenium what is the retrieve rate on the daiwa as i have a stradic gtm rb and find it much too fast

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers marq will have a look at it really like the rareium but maybe too expensive so am looking around at other options

1 - 20 of 26 Posts