The Lure Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reasonably new to bass fishing, I have been using a 11ft Mike Laddle rod for spining for bass but now have decided to go for a shorter 8 ft ish rod.
I’m looking to spend around £100 - £200 on a rod ...can anybody recommend some rods . Have fancied the sakura rokkie but it seems to be sold out in Mr Fish and I can’t find it anywhere else.
the 8ft teklon in veals was my second chice but it also seems to be sold out.
how does the 8ft 3 hevier one compare
Can anyone recommend some other short rods, and where’s the best place to get them
Has anyone tried the Maro Power 240 rod?

would love to buy from mr fish as the advice over the phone has been really good

:-D
Thanks

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I like my quantum 240 a lot. I also use a tenryu red luck super distance which is by far the nicer rod, but for a rod less than £200 I'd opt for a quantum.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Reasonably new to bass fishing, I have been using a 11ft Mike Laddle rod for spining for bass but now have decided to go for a shorter 8 ft ish rod.
I’m looking to spend around £100 - £200 on a rod ...can anybody recommend some rods . Have fancied the sakura rokkie but it seems to be sold out in Mr Fish and I can’t find it anywhere else.
Can anyone recommend some other short rods, and where’s the best place to get them

would love to buy from mr fish as the advice over the phone has been really good

Thanks
Hi Alun and welcome to the forum, there are many threads on this subject in the tackle section and if you take the time to read through I am sure you will find some good advice in there, I am also sure the guys will chip in on your thread and offer advice as well, I managed to hold the Rookie range of rods in Nantes just a couple of weeks ago, they look and feel stunning, so well worth waiting for. Have you considered the Savage Bushwhacker range ? Cracking rods for around 50 quid and many people on this forum use them. I see from your location you are from Pembrokeshire, we are having a Bumble down West at the end of April and details can be found in the meets section, chip in on the thread if you are interested or send me a PM for more details.

Reactions: Alun Parry

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Good call on the Rookies Steve. They are lovely and look like cracking value. Fancy one myself.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
:cry::cry: might have to wait for the rookie then....just hope i can get one for the Bumble.....

i hate waiting...just ordered my reel.... itching to get a rod

mainly shallow or surface... but do rearly use the odd soft plastic shads

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I think **** had one of the Maro power rods in when we were in there before Nantes. I do remember liking it a lot!

12 months ago Id have agreed on just going for something like a Bushwhacker or Quantum because there weren't really any rods in the £100 - £200 range that were that much better. Its opened right up now though and if you want to spend up to £200 and there are 4 or 5 decent rods in the price range now, all of which will be noticeable improvements over the £50-£100 range. So I'd recommend spending what you can afford. The good thing about it is that its kind of gone whole circle. Before when the cheaper rods were only about as good as the mid-range ones, now the mid range ones are almost as good as the top of the range ones! You'll be super happy with pretty much any of them in that price range now.

Reactions: Alun Parry

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hey Alun, I have the Bushwacker and the Quantum energy bass 240 and love both, But I prefer the 240 for the surface lures etc. It depends on what you want from a rod and how much your wanting to spend! Sod it get yourself a supermix 240 and be done with it lol. Never go for second choice just because of impatience, as you'll probably regret it!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I think **** did have a Rookie 8' 6" but it was at home for taking photo's.
Give him a call. Can't promise but I think it was in the shop earlier.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I saw I believe most of the Sakura Rookie range of rods at the Nantes show and they were seriously impressive bits of kit - incredible value for money.

Speak to ****, you will not go wrong with one of these rods.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Got the sakura rookie last summer, Its an excellent rod and a dream to fish with being so light....great value for money, you wont be disappointed!!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Got the sakura rookie last summer, Its an excellent rod and a dream to fish with being so light....great value for money, you wont be disappointed!!
Is that what you were using when we fished together in September ?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts

Thanks
Alun, there's a very good chance (weather dependant) that quite a few of us will be in West Wales this weekend plugging. If you can make it across you'll probably see a Bushwhacker, Shukan, Quantum & a Supermix.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Good advice - get to hold and cast some in a 'real' situation. It'll then be obvious which one suits you.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cant make tis weekend ...but am up for the bumble....thanks for the great advice . thick ive decided no the rookie to go with my new shimano rareainium 4000

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Alun - that would be a very classy set-up indeed for sensible money. Couldn't go far wrong with those. PM us or keep an eye on the Bumble thread as I need to get number confirmed. Should be a blast!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi Mate,

Just played with a rod today that is only just over your budget -- its a Sakura Mezzera (spelling may be wrong) available at Mr Fish in Jersey (more commision for me **** -- LOL --- can I have a free one). Seriousely, I have a Tenryu Injection £350 and its a great rod, but what some of us lure fishing ADDICTS have found is that we need several lure rods, but if I was only allowed one I would buy a Tenryu Red Luck Super Distance £370 and that is over your budget, but the next rod I would chose would be the Sakura Mezzera --- its awesome. Having said all this I will warn you that the aformentioned rods are between 7' and 8'3'' which seems to be regarded by the British fishing press as far to short but work just fine from the shore and boat.

I was looking at a rod today for use in ultra light lure fishing from the shore that is only 6'

Hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts