The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the Bass plugging and spinning the rod used is an old Greys Grxispin....and she's fine for what I do with her. However I can see it's not going to "work" with the Pike lures, the crankbaits/slashbaits etc, the different working style' needed. A stiffer and shorter rod methinks, for the different style......but what?

Any recommendations out there, for "what" I should be looking at? Sumhut' shorter/stiffer that can handle the larger lures in the proper style......Looks like the "baitcaster" style is de-rigur'

Now the Daiwa Powermesh X Jerkbait would seem to fit the bill, at 6'6".....but it's one piece...and sounds like a transportation issue, maybe.

AlanB

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
For the Bass plugging and spinning the rod used is an old Greys Grxispin....and she's fine for what I do with her. However I can see it's not going to "work" with the Pike lures, the crankbaits/slashbaits etc, the different working style' needed. A stiffer and shorter rod methinks, for the different style......but what?

Any recommendations out there, for "what" I should be looking at? Sumhut' shorter/stiffer that can handle the larger lures in the proper style......Looks like the "baitcaster" style is de-rigur'

Now the Daiwa Powermesh X Jerkbait would seem to fit the bill, at 6'6".....but it's one piece...and sounds like a transportation issue, maybe.

AlanB
Alan,we may need a budget for this one.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nick,

no budget really....as long as it's sensible' and not up there with the Van Stall' class of reels strata. It's a style I have never done before, bit of a grey area then. Been using the wrong approach entirely up to now for previous efforts.....and must have been very unlucky also.....a second eyeball' at the chariot reveals that a 6'6" one piece will fit.....and whilst I'm about it.....if we are talking the rod.....there will have to be a reel.....anyone using the ABU 5601 (left hand)?

Grateful for any thoughts from folks familiar with this style....

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I think you are referring to a Jerk style rod.

Bushwhacker
Some of the Sakura Rookie range.
Rod Bar 210 or 240

These rods will rip a lure down quickly to depth without the tip collapsing.
Pretty much in order of power, stiffness and price.

However, they are all good.

·
Registered
33 Posts

AlanB
1st edition Savage Gear Butch Lite............classic

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for the suggestions and pointers.....I'm sorted now for both Jerkbait rod and reel....now then, if I can just ignore the Bass for a bit....Crocs' beware.

"A"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts