The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hello Barry. Welcome to the Forum!!

Not used that setup, but both the rod and reel come pretty highly recommended, so you wont go far wrong. There are other options available, but not necessarily better in that price bracket.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Its the set up Im using Barry and its a joy to use. High end performance for sensible money. The reel is a particular gem, I cant vouch for the longevity of it as I have only had mine a few weeks but at the moment I cant fault it

Just a shame about the cosmetics on the Teklon .. but beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say, so maybe its just me who finds pink an odd colour to use on a rod!

·
Registered
128 Posts
You wont go wrong with the rareniun 4000 i liked mine so much I got one in the 3000 size aswell. Its a cracking reel and wont let you down, a pleasure to use. Super light with excellent line lay, and mine has been put to the test with some nice bass and never struggled.

Tecklon is a great rod, but if you want to look at other options the sakura rookie is a great rod. I have the rookie and the rareniun which is a perfectly balanced setup that you wont be disappointed with.

James.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Barry
The Teklon range is fantastic. I have both the 832 and 702 and love both. They are as easy to use and perform well at casting and landing fish. The 832 appears slightly stiffer than the 802 and makes a fantatic lure rod, especially top water plugging (even for Pike), whilst the 702 is great with smaller lures and soft pastics. Personally I find the 832 too stiff for soft plastics but its marginal and as I have a Supermix I tend to use this for the soft stuff.

When I cam back from Ireland in June and ordered two Teklon rods the wife was unimpressed. However when she used them in Weymouth she thought it was money well spent - and yes I did tell her the real price!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Barry welcome to the Forum. I cant comment on the rod but I have a Rarenium 4000 and can certainly endorse the views above. Its a sweet, smooth reel to use and I have had no problem with corrosion yet although I try to rinse in fresh water after a trip.

·
Banned
1,282 Posts
anybody know how a 4000 shimano stradic rear drag will balance with concept 802? I can just about afford the rod but not a new reel as well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Tecklon is a great rod, but if you want to look at other options the sakura rookie is a great rod. I have the rookie and the rareniun which is a perfectly balanced setup that you wont be disappointed with.

James.
Afraid to say in my case the Rookie although a pleasure to fish with has snapped at the tip after a few sessions (which was replaced at no cost) but it has now cracked on the female part of the joint, it may well be repairable.

·
Registered
364 Posts
the middle of this week i'll have a rarenium 4000 and a teklon 802- my research showed it to be a good combo. unfortunately my rods bust today so i wont be able to give you any feedback on how it fishes just yet.... bu%$£r.....

was a lovely rod though... good feel, good action, nice and light...

shame about the pink and cheap graphics but don't let that put you off..

·
Registered
150 Posts
i've had a teclon this summer and it was my first bassing i was dubious of the pink bits but in the flesh it looks ok after landing a few bass and fishing different lures from patchinko 100's to sammy 128's feed shallows, zonks its been fine
i took the rod pike fishing and landed six pike to 19lb no worries even casting super shad raps ok
i've grown really love that little rod and my very happy with mine even the pink bits
hpoe that helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts