The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on those, I have had a little success trying the Hogy Flounder SP.
Will give them a try.

·
Registered
629 Posts
How are they rigged?

the tope one obviously has a large jighead, but what would you use for the small ones?

I have an area of slow flooding muddy sand flats on an estuary near where I fish, where there are loads of little flatties up to 4" (biggest I've seen at least) because it floods so slowly I'd need to cast the flattie Sp a good way so that my silhouette is not going to spook any fish hunting the flatties.

Any thoughts?

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Interesting. I got some Hogy flatfish to try on the Tope but I haven't had chance yet. I tried casting them on my 20lb class but it is a joke (apart from feeling like I'm holding a lamp post!). I'm minded to try my Bushwacker on them.....

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on those, I have had a little success trying the Hogy Flounder SP.
Will give them a try.
How've you been rigging them Dave:?: I got some Hogy flatfish to try on the Tope but I haven't had chance yet. I tried casting them on my 20lb class but it is a joke (apart from feeling like I'm holding a lamp post!). I'm minded to try my Bushwacker on them.....

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Insane! Guess the boy using Supermix' are twitching in their pants lol.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Tim,
I started using a 1/2 or 3/4oz Hogy Jighead, but after a couple of "on for a second and then gone", I switched to a long shanked 1/2oz jighead I got from States years ago. Only had a couple of bass at night so far. But definately potential for more.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Tim,
I started using a 1/2 or 3/4oz Hogy Jighead, but after a couple of "on for a second and then gone", I switched to a long shanked 1/2oz jighead I got from States years ago. Only had a couple of bass at night so far. But definately potential for more.
I'm guessing you're using the smaller of the two versions Dave? I have some 14g VMC jigheads that I thought might do, you've confirmed that then. I think I'll be sending off for some 10g and 15g 8/0s for next year for the 4' versions or, indeed, for those in the OP.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Tim,
So you are going to try for Tope on a SP, Harder than it first appears-years ago I did a Tope on fly-Took bloody ages to get one take. Trouble is that Tope use all their senses to find their prey. I would go for a slow drift and a relatively heavy jig head and just bump the SP about a foot off the bottom, and then let it hit the bottom. Aim for smaller tides-As I found it easier to present the fly hard on the bottom, with the reduced flow. Same thing will apply with the above SP-lots of drag.
Anchoring up over slack water and chumming would be worth a try as well.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
It was just over 25lb, used a Fisher #11 to punt out a big chunk of lead core. Even with the current flow, it wasn't much of a fight.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Cheers Dave, a rod with a bit more grunt than a Bushwacker then. I'll ponder it over the winter, I can see another rod coming..... :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts