The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's pretty rough here. severe weather warning out for tonight but not sure why, it's only a F9.

Went out for high water just after lunch and there was a nice surf running, lots of loose kelp in the water though and rather murky. Something to do with the monsoon all day yesterday on I would imagine.

First mark was a bit rough with the sasuke 105 on the infeet, surf was taking it everywhere but where I wanted it so moved along a bit where it was calmer.

First cast, 4 turns of the handle and wham!! Bit of an odd fight and then it surfaced and it was not happy, mouth open wide and I could see a single hook of the rear treble just about hanging on.

After a bit of a struggle I had it in range, it really wasn't very happy at all to see me!!! I got down to the water, got the pliers off my bag and just grabbed the hook to twist it free in the water.

what was it??

Bloney Cormorant!! Hissing and spitting at me, wings open wide and not enjoying the ride in through the surf.

not hooked one of those before, and proper in the beak as well. had terns and seagulls etc mostly foul hooked but not a cormorant.

I moved further along the beach and try as I might to get a fish, nothing doing. Tried for a wrasse on the Xlayers but major problems with weed.

So no fish. Never mind.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Saved the blank Andy :wink:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Ha! Nice one Andy. Daz nearly had one the other day. He SH*T his pants when it surfaced behind his X-layer.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Unlucky Andy. I bet that was a pain to unhook, I know seagulls are. I went out with the wife early yesterday morning. and I managed to get bass to splash next to my lure no less than 4 times (no hook ups though). Karen caught a small (30cm) bass at the end of the session on a patchinko (500g). Incedentally, she caught one there last week (42cm) on hgh water, when I'd thought it was only a low water mark.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
unhooking was Ok actually. It managed to not get tangled up and it was only one point of the crushed barb treble in the tip of the beak so I just needed to get it close enough to get the hook with my forceps and twist it out.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
You didn't say what weight you are claiming for it Andy.........:-D:-D:-D

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Congratulations Andy on your new PB Cormorant!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I bet he wasn't brave enough to hold the tape against it's beak.....That could be nasty......:shock::shock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts