The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you know I am new to this Soft Plastic lark of fishing so any advice would be welcomed.

I have a couple of marks that fish well later on in the season that are shallow with mixed sand and mussel bottom with a good tide run,taking these conditions into consideration I would like to try spinning with SP,s so what would be the best tactics and methods to use when fishing from the shore and also which SP,s and lead heads do I need to buy.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Go have a read in the HRF section, look for my guide to HRF. It covers all the basic SP techniques, even if you are not going 100% HRF.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the HRF section you have mentioned that you have done Andy but I would still like to know what would be the technique to use on the particular mark I was talking about???

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Thanks for the HRF section you have mentioned that you have done Andy but I would still like to know what would be the technique to use on the particular mark I was talking about???
Without seeing it m8 it's a tough call but....

I'd be drifting lures.

I've covered this in depth in recent blog articles but it isn't always as easy as I make it sound. You do have to learn the method and have confidence.
Even then, I'm always trying to improve my own skills and refine methods.

Give it a try but, give any method you choose fair chance. You might think, yep, tried that, don't work, etc...
I will tell you now, it ain't always that clear cut.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
as far as sp's and jig heads go try all types of combination's especially if you are drifting lures you want to fart about with different weights and shapes till you're happy. i know its not a straight up do this kind of answer but like keith said without seeing it its a tough one.

oh yeah also dont rule out weightless either

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
ok well why dont you start with a pack of xlayers and some jigheads ranging from 5g to 10g hook size 1/0 and take it from there

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why start with a pack of xylers???
I am sure there are cheaper options available out there that will on par with them

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Why start with a pack of xylers???
I am sure there are cheaper options available out there that will on par with them
Thats true. If your just starting out your more likely to loose stuff too. So until you have found a method your confident with then I'd suggest using something cheaper!

I think Mrfish have these sakura things that are like x-layers but half the price. I've used and caught on these.

Tight lines.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
lol it was ony a suggestion use what you wan,t go for senko's they are cheaperi only said xlayers because i use them. senkos are probably better.

just trying to give you something to start with gary

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That,s much appreciated Dumbass !......... don,t get me wrong.......Over the years I have been guilty of buying an expensive lure but I have seen many a time where a cheap £1.00 lure has out fished the so called DB,s and it was all to do with what the fish were feeding on and what technique was used.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
nail on the head there mate its just about what they want the fish dont care about the price tag lol
your right dont go buying the expensive stuff if price matters. yeah i would go with some senko's and also get some 3" paddle tails i have had loads of fish on them with an on the drop kind of retrieve i like 7 gram jig heads with them at the moment

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to give more info about this particular mark.

Day time.. when I have had the chance to drift over it on neap tides and the water is clear there are shoals of Sand eel and Sprat in mid water or on the surface with Gobys and Blennys on the bottom amongst the mussel but at night it,s a different ball game all together,the day time species have disappeared and while drifting trough with the boat and the mast light pointed towards the water on the same mark you will see clusters of shoals of pin Whiteing and Pout that scatter quickly soon as they come in contact with the light,you will also see Dog Fish stationary on the bottom and there is masses of Prawns and Crabs......Now comes the interesting bit.....On the occasional outcrop of rocks I have seen shoals of Bass holding in the tide waiting for food to come pass them....Where were they during the day???....Who cares I know they are there at night!.....Now on the Spring tides I do not know if they are there because there is such a fierce tide it kicks up the silt that much that you can not see bottom.

Now I want to target the Bass at night from the shore using SP,s using the "Drift method" that Keith has mentioned and I was thinking on the line of using a Shad type SP.

What are the thoughts of other forum members?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I have seen shoals of Bass holding in the tide waiting for food to come pass them....Where were they during the day???....Who cares I know they are there at night!.....Now on the Spring tides I do not know if they are there because there is such a fierce tide it kicks up the silt that much that you can not see bottom.

Now I want to target the Bass at night from the shore using SP,s using the "Drift method" that Keith has mentioned and I was thinking on the line of using a Shad type SP.
drift ! definitely drift based on what you wrote there.

on ebb tides try larger bait first as the tide drops and prawn patterns last.
There is usually a threshold as to what drops away in sequence according to physical size but prawn will stay extremely shallow and Bass know it.
Work WITH any flow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts