The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first thing i have to say is wow, what a excellent forum.
It comes across as everyone on here is willing and only to happy to help.
I have been fishing for bass for some years now, however this will be my 1st proper full season using lures.
I would be realy chuffed tho, if anyone could tell me the right lures to use for the start of the season?
I sometimes dont have the confidence sticking to the same lure and believe i am wasting valuable time doing this.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hey dritzz! Welcome to the forum!

There are quite a few lures around these days for well under £10 that will do a fine, fine job. The Daiwa's are my personal favourites in the price range and lures like the TD Minnow, Chugger Minnow and Salt Minnow will do a fine job and be great lures to get you started - without having to worry about not having adequate baits. Eventually you'll find that it matters more about where you cast them (the good thing about lure fishing is that it really highlights to you where bass live and feed), but having a few decent lures will do your confidence the world of good.

Don't worry too much about deep diving lures to start with, and stick to floaters too just while you get the hang of it. That way you'll have less chance of losing them, but if you're putting them in to the right areas you'll have a great chance of catching a few fish.

These are the sorts of things I'm on about: http://www.monstertackle.co.uk/fishingtackle/daiwa-fishing-tackle-lures.html

You'll soon discover that there are MILLIONS of lures out there, and you'll probably get 50+ recommendations before or after mine, but this is a good starting point. Look for roughly 12-14cm lures to start with.

Good luck!

Reactions: martinnieuwenhof

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have been fishing for bass for some years now, however this will be my 1st proper full season using lures.
I would be realy chuffed tho, if anyone could tell me the right lures to use for the start of the season?
I sometimes dont have the confidence sticking to the same lure and believe i am wasting valuable time doing this.
Have a look on the meets section - the other Welsh boys (jolly old bunch) are having a meet in April - just go along and take a peek in their boxes ;)

was thinking about heading over west next week but the weathers put the dampers on that idea I think

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hi dritzz

Welcome to the forum. As you say, it's an excellent forum bursting with top guys willing to help. There'll be many suggestions for lures, my 2 favourites are the patchinko (surface) and the maria chase holo silver (shallow subsurface)

Hope this helps

Gary

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Yep, everyone should have the Maria Chase Holo in their box. Modern day legend, especially for the price!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Like tom said, if u can make one of the Meets, that will put you in really good stead and will fill you with confidence, for your own patch.

Welcome by the way mate!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yup a Patchinko a chase BW holo-silver & a feed shallow mullet #11 - oh and two duo tide minnows (one sinker - one floater) - add a packet of soft plastics and youre sorted for a good start

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Without wanting to sound like a complete plonker by going against the flow, we all have our favourites, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that somebody just getting in to it should be pushed to spend £20+ on a plug. Definitely not. I'm a fine one to talk with my stupidly big collection, but some £10 (or less) lures are actually really, really good, and will be much less of an annoyance on the wallet when you do inevitably start losing one or 2 dritzz.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Oh and forum member tide dale (Mark) lives down by you - you could catch up with him too

oh yeah and welcome btw

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi Dritzz,

First of all, welcom to this forum !

The best advice i can give you for a start is: keep it simple.
Start with a few good an proven lures.

Rapala X-Rap 10 or 12. (Spotted Minnow or Ayu)
Maria Chase 105 / 125.
Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 95MR / 110SP

topwater:
Lucky Craft Sammy 100 / 115
" " Gunfish 95 / 115

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Welcome Dritz. Prepare yourself to be overwhelmed with information. My advice would be to try and contact somebody on the forum who fishes the venues you do, pick their brains about what they use and more importantly WHY, then buy a couple of different styles of lures based on their recommendations. When you have more confidence, then start broadening your outlook on what to use. All of the previous recommendations are excellent and you could do worse than buy them all!!! But not everybody fishes the same way and what works for one doesn't always work for another. And there are lots of cheaper alternatives to top end lures too.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Without wanting to sound like a complete plonker by going against the flow, we all have our favourites, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that somebody just getting in to it should be pushed to spend £20+ on a plug. Definitely not. I'm a fine one to talk with my stupidly big collection, but some £10 (or less) lures are actually really, really good, and will be much less of an annoyance on the wallet when you do inevitably start losing one or 2 dritzz.
I agree with this Ben. And cheaper doesn't always mean crapper, however its personal preference at the end of the day and what you can afford.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Hi Dritzz. A bunch of us fish South Pembs so if you want to head down and have a go with us feel free to PM me or anyone else on the Welsh Meets thread. We will talk you through any of our lures and recommend where to get them, why we use them, what they do and why we like them. Everyone has their preferences, and to be fair almost all lures will catch. At our last meet in October, some guys fairly new to lures were catching on "cheap" jointed lures they bough at their market for £2.99. I knew the areas we fished, and blanked with a box full of £15-20 lures so that should tell you all you need to know. Lots of good advice for you on this thread already, so help this helps!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Welcome to the madhouse.

As far as lures go Spitfire (Tom) is spot on. Make those SPs a Sidewinder and a Slug-go on a weighted texan hook and you're away.

BTW anyone know a recipe for sea hares??

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Yup a Patchinko a chase BW holo-silver & a feed shallow mullet #11 - oh and two duo tide minnows (one sinker - one floater) - add a packet of soft plastics and youre sorted for a good start
Welcome to the forum bud, and as for advice on what lures..... hard question indeed. I agree with Tom above, spot on, but learning how a lure (any lure) works properly is as important and every other aspect. as it goes for starting off it is good to get lures that are simple to use, surface lures like the Lucky Craft Gunfish, Xorus Patchinko and Zenith Z-Claw are very easy lures to use and very very effective. For diving lures that are simple try a Tackle House Feed Shallow, Lucky Craft Flash Minnow, Rapala X-Raps, these diving lures can litterally be just wound in slowly with some fast jerks to make them deadly.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Hi Dritzz (is that your real name ?)

Firstly welcome and I hope you are enjoying, from the posts so far you have had some cracking advice, as **** has said all the lures work differently and sometimes trying before you by is the best thing to do though not easy if you don't know anyone that fishes with lures, If you would like to meet some of the guys we are out tomorrow down your way and you are welcome to turn up and try some of the lures and ask some questions. If you are interested just add a post to this thread and I will PM you a contact number and go from there !

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A big thanks

Thank you all for all of your helpful advice, i have a few expensive lures already i just wasnt sure if they would be the right ones, as sometimes i think some companies try to catch the angler rather than the fish.
I had a look at Mr.fishes blog and was realy impressed at some of the videos., the Patchinko realy looks good and my wife bought me one the other week, so i may go to the estuary this weekend to have ago and see the best way to use it.
Once again thank you all for all of your replies :-D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi Dritzz and welcome again. For me the fun part of lure fishing is trying out a variety of lures and seeing what works and in what situations. Must admit to being a bit of a tackle tart, but this is only because i hate spending my money on the girlfriend. The last couple of years I've found the savage 115 a good little lure and one that often caught plenty when some of my more expensive lures failed, its also a snip at £7, mr fish sells them and i've a few tucked away in my lure box. good luck and enjoy the coming season. any problems and the guys on here are more than willing to help.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts