The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Just been out and now seeking some advice.
Tonight I was getting bites by dropping the lure to the deck, and then very gentlely twitching/vibrating it. Bites seem good but couldn't connect. Even tried very gentlely lifting into the bite, but no luck.
I have a feeling it might have been something small, but even going down to size 8 decoys jigheads 0.6g and a Aji Meet, while drawing bites still didn't get a hook up.
So should I go smaller?? Different technique??

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Welcome to LRF...

Awesome and challenging isn't it.

smaller ? Yes.
change colour ? Yes
Wacky or Cuckoo rig ? yes use a split shot rig to get it down.
Stinger if all else fails ? yes, a Jap flying one.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
It may be that the bites are from small fish Dave, fish that are just difficult to hook full stop, even if you scale down.

Or it might be that they are just not committed to eating that lure, in which case you might try getting them more interested be adding some scent to the lure. This has worked for us in the past.

Good luck. No-one said it was easy! LOL

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome and challenging it most definately is.
Thoughts of LRF mackerel/Scad already rank right up there next to decent bass.
I am learning ALOT about why I didn't get on with SP in the past for bass-Too heavy, to rushed, unbalanced set up etc etc
But I am learning, and having a blast.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Dave aint that the truth, to combat the ' nibblers ' i went smaller, with good results too. But not everything works for everyone eh? What would your next step be then if given the choice from those ideas listed above?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike,
Smaller I think is the first thing I will try, going to take the tail off an Aji Meet, and rig it on a size 14 (ish) hook with a split shot for weight-That way I will still get some action from the tail and hopefully present a smaller mouthful to the nibblers. Trouble is, I will be way beyound what the rod (7' Bushy) is capable of really, so until I get out to ****'s and get a proper LRF rod-not sure how successful this will be. Could feel and hold tension on 0.4g last night, so will aim for 0.2g or slightly less. I need just enough weight to be able to hold tension.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Point Alex,
It could be territorial responce, but that basically means the fish will bite/attack the lure. So still a chance of a hook up. Don't think it is crabs, the bites that I am getting are too active.
Only one way to find out!!

Congrats by the way on the LRF outfit-Sweet prize. Now you will have to come out for some pollack/whiting bashing.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Something that has me intrigued about LRF is what sort of distance are you working at on average and doesn't the action of the sea take away the "feel" of bumping a tiny weight?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty much short range stuff, but you would be surprised what you can feel with the right gear. I was bumping 0.6g along the bottom in a current, last night. I could feel the bottom, and even hold against the weight. The right braid etc makes a huge difference. I am still learning-so what some of the more skilled guys are capable of must be incredible.

Reactions: Carl B

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thinking about it Robert,
It is funny how your horizons change, when I first got some bit of LRF gear to try I thought 2g jigheads and 2.5" curly tail grunds were tiny. Now 1.4g can feel like a cannonball, and I am hunting for 0.2g heads and SP's around the 1" size. I remember Keith saying about closing your eyes and try to feel what you are doing with the lure, I think I am begining to understand what he meant. ALL about contact and control-Blo*dy addictive stuff!!!

Reactions: rob d

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Pretty much short range stuff, but you would be surprised what you can feel with the right gear. I was bumping 0.6g along the bottom in a current, last night. I could feel the bottom, and even hold against the weight. The right braid etc makes a huge difference. I am still learning-so what some of the more skilled guys are capable of must be incredible.
Dave do you remember the LRF softie surface work, that worked a treat! If anyone wants to come down to my neck of the woods and try this for themselves send me a pm, youre more than welcome.

I once asked Paul a question regarding the use of softies in a harbour situation and the problem was solved by going lighter (Thx Paul:) ) never looked back since.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike,
So far I haven't manage to find a venue that comes close to yours, if and when the water clears in the harbours around here, then fingers crossed I can try and repeat what we were doing in Weymouth. But so far all the interest very much within 6" of the bottom. Will be down again soon (hopefully popping over to ****'s for the day) then some serious LRF.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts