The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well we've been chasing the bass for some time here and whilst the odd fish has shown itself I had yet to land one. After much deliberation about where to fish on these small tides and NE winds, George and I hit our first mark this morning. To be fair there was too much wind and chop to fish effectively so we moved along the beach to fish off some reefs.
After 3 casts with a Pearl Fin-S Fish (out of MrFish's bargain bin - cheers, ****!) which I had rigged weedless on a weighted hook, I saw a big bass criuse up behind the lure right under my feet. There was no water left to work the lure, so remembering a tip from Iestyn Jones he gave me when were pike fishing earlier this year, I flicked the lure right back in and gave it a few twitches then left it alone. It did the trick as the fish grabbed the lure and tore off peeling line from quite a tight drag.
This was one of the best scraps I have had with a bass, luckily the fish fought near the surface rather than deep around the rocks and so despite 5 or 6 strong runs we managed to land it after some issues choosing a good spot. The new fish grip (cheers, Hywel!) came into play and we managed to get the fish back to the beach for photos. It was the greatest feeling ever after a lot of time spent questioning whether I was actually able to catch a bass at all!
George was remarkably gracious despite me catching the first fish of our season and not him, and was a great help handling the fish.
It measured 58cm and weighed 4lb 12oz - bigger than anything I caught last season!
We moved marks soon after as the wind was in our face and I moved another very good fish on the same lure in short order. Despite conditions looking amazing we didn't manage any more fish even after being joined by Dom. I had the clumsiest afternoon ever, got soaked through and managed to break the tip on George's 8'6" Bushwacker, so if anyone has a spare tip section I can buy can you let me know ASAP?
few photos below...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Well done Tim - nice fish (great start) !

·
Registered
659 Posts
:clap: :clap: :clap: Well done Tim, thats a cracking fish, did you get it on the Firefly rod? and if so, how did it cope with it?

shame about Georges Whacker though, hope you're able to find a new tip section...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Marc. It was taken on the Bushwacker that I was borrowing from George and later broke. To be honest I am not sure the Firefly would have coped as I had a hell of a tussle with this fish. Phew, feels so good to have broken my duck for 2010....

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Cracking fish Tim,
Heart in mouth moment I bet, getting that take.
Great photo too.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well done tim, crackin' start.
These winds & small tides have sapped some of my enthusiasm, but reports & pics like this soon give it the kick up the arse it needs from time to time.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Really pleased for you bud', my 2010 account is still totally blank at the mo'. :roll: but i shall keep on trying till i find 'em, be it fresh or salt... :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
good one tim nice to see afew days in work then ibe out looking for my bass lol lol

ps . if stuck and whant to use my bush wacker let me konw . you can only use one rod at a time

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Great fish Tim. Especially when you had to think about presentation to tempt it again. Shame about the Bushwacker though....

·
Registered
990 Posts
Really please for you Tim!! you deserve it mate, I shouldnt worry about George he will get his chance soon, A real talent that boy!....put us all to shame :) well done Tim!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts