The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my best session ever the other week when I had my 8lb PB, I decided to return to my favourite estuary. It was flat calm but very cold and after a few fruitless casts on the Z Claw, I switched to an Xlayer rigged weedless and straight away was rewarded with a bass of about 2lbs. This was shorlty follwed by another of about 1.5. After that thing went quiet so I headed down to a narrower stretch and had a couple of schoolies over slack water. Once the tide started flowing things went dead again so I decided to move back to my favorite mark.
As it was now shallower I was having problems with snags and after losing 2 rigs decided to try the Z-Claw again.
First cast I had a big swirl, 2nd resulted in a half hearted hit and on the third - Crash!! the calm water errupted as my trusty bushwhacker bent over and an angry bass headed out into the current. It took some time and a fair few yards of braid to get him under control and just as I got him into the shallows, off he went again with a renewed burst of energy! I wasn't taking any chances and played him firmly back and this time he was mine.
Not the PB I was hoping for but a very healthy fish of 5.5lbs and 61cms:

I fished on and no more action was forthcoming at this mark. I was getting hungry by now and decided to head home.
Just as I was approaching the slipway, I noticed a flock of gulls getting excited on the far shore so I nipped over and could see fish crashing and fry all over the place. I quickly beached the boat and cast an Xlayer over the comotion. I had a few knocks but nothing solid. I decided to pop on the smallest plug I had which was an old mini Yo Zuri Crystal Minnow and straight away I was into a bass of about 2lbs. I had another little fella then all went quiet. The birds dissappeared as did the fish. Lunchtime for me!

Yesterday (Sunday) I decided to pop down to a local rocky open sea mark. The wind was straight into my face and casting was a challenge to say the least. I tried all my expensive Jap lures to no avail - control was very difficult in the breeze. I finally popped on an old Maria Chase BW which I had considered binning recently as it was so knackered, but I knew it cast well and dived just deep enough to get below the waves and was instantly rewarded with this fish:

Not a monster but I was chuffed to bits to get something out of the tough conditions.
On my way back I had to climb a small cliff as the tide had cut me off and as I popped my head over the top I came face to face with this guy:

Luckily he was in a chilled out mood and just looked at me as if I was an idiot!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Lovely bass Mark,
The Z Claw takes some beating doesn't it.
Great Pics as well.
Hope you bag a load more this season.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Well done mate, another cracking session for you!! I also went out on a local estuary this weekend to fish the previously successful neaps, except I had s*d all to show for it.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Very nice report, and some beautiful healthy looking Shirley's there !!! Loving the goat too ;).

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Cracking report Mark, very well done :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts