The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading with interest all the informative posts re night fishing lately.
Would really like to fish my usual day marks at night, but to be honest since my accident on the rocks in broad daylight last year, I just don`t have the confidence to go anywhere islolated or remotely dodgy at night.

Therefore I am left with the public, safe places that I wouldn`t touch with a barnpole during the day. You know the kind of areas, crowds of people, tourists etc. ( Not that I am an anti social bloke when fishing - Oh o.k. so I am!)

Anyway, I was thinking of fishing a couple of our harbours to start with. As I said not my usual terrain, mainly muddy blue slipper bottom and not a lot or current to work with within reach. As with a lot of these places nearly all of the more `interesting` features I fished as a kid are nowadays marked `private`, `no right of way`, ` instant death to any fishermen using this jetty`etc.

Therefore looks like the seawall or public slipway.

Anyone had experience or got any suggestions as to the best tactics to use for such areas for bass?

Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
519 Posts
dave, the only thing i can suggest is to slowly move out of your comfort zone and maybe start fishing with a friend around harbours/jetties/beaches at night etc until you feel a little more confident stepping away from the daylight and crowded area's, you have hopefully many years ahead of you to practice.

all the best

kev

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I personally wouldn't recommend you fish area's like that in darkness unless you know Bass or whatever fish, are present.
Clues from bait anglers etc. If bait anglers can get em, so can you.

In and around harbours, off walls etc, sometimes into deeper water ?

OTD techniques without question.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kev, I suppose what I meant to say was that I am more than happy to fish the easy access harbours and beaches at night no probs, just that this is not my normal daylight haunt- what would be considerd `good` ground if you like. My normal daylight areas involve longish off road walks and rocky terrain, usually with no phone signal to boot!

I was just wondering about the best tactics to employ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Keith, will try OTD first perhaps then, now I know how to do it! Great article with a picture for blokes like me to understand!

·
Registered
519 Posts
dave, from having a quick look at the IOW on google, you have lots of places to choose from, most of the harbours look like they will produce lots of current on the ebb tides due to the amount of water they hold, take a drive around your island and just take note of area's with current, also like keith mentioned work these area's OTD and you'll catch fish, day and night.

kev

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Kev, OTD it is then. Yep your right we have 5 harbours here. The 3 large ones all have main ferry terminals and tend to be busy places in darkness during the summer months. The other two are smaller and are great for current in the their very narrow inlets . Have tried SP`s during the day here on the ebb without success and have had a lot of trouble with weed. Just gonna have to practice my OTD techniques on various tides.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Keith beat me to it Dave,
Tight to the walls is always worth checking out. similar troubles of access to "interesting" areas of local harbours. But have done well in the past fishing parallel to the harbour walls, especially if there is any structure (rocks, undercut, steps/changes in the direction of the wall also worth checking as they create low pressure areas that bass love to lase about in,or erosion along the bottom of the wall-worth checking on the next set of extra low tides).
Also any areas where artical light shines on the water, fish the edges of the light ideally with a small(ish) lure-natural ambush site for any predator.
May not be as "glamourous" as rock and reef marks, but can and do hold bass during darkness.
Also those crowded noisey beaches (especially if there is any stucture rocks/reef/beds of worms or mussels) are also well worth a session or two. As locally even the busiest of beach that is swamped with sunburnt tourists during the day. Hold bass (often within a couple of feet of the edge) at night. Just give them a couple of hours to clam down. One tip is to be as quiet as you possibably can be, try not to crunch the shingle, kick rock or even speak loudly. I have spooked bass right from the water edge doing this in the past!!
Night fishing is excellent, and as Kevin and Keith have said repeatly in the past MUCH more productive than fishing during the daylight. Relax, take things a step at a time, and you will soon wonder why you haven't been doing it for years.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dave, really helpful post. Now just need to decide whether to stay up late or get up early! 56 tomorrow, body doesn`t understand being awake in the dark any more!!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Happy birthday for tomorrow Dave. I'm no longer the athletic person I once was, and also find rock climbing difficult. It will be harder to find specimen fish in harbours etc, but, time put into learning what time they fish best and in which wind direction can lead to some very good catches and if your tackle is scaled down accordingly it will also be immense fun.

Good luck

Gary

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nice one Dave. I love having my rod looking like it's been taken by a 200lb mako with a 2lb bream on and all around are using beachcasters and not registering any bites.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts