Discussion Starter #1
I understand that shining a light onto the water during
night fishing is a no no,but is it possible to use a low lumen
torch with a red filter to cast a real low glow,just to help
see what's happening when needed?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
We use light to change lures, new leaders etc and to move about.

Switch it OFF whilst fishing and never shine any light, red or otherwise out seaward.

It really matters.

If you arrive on a mark in daylight...
Leave the part destined for night fishing well alone until about 30 minutes after full darkness if the tide allows.

·
Registered
498 Posts
if you mean to change lures/ re rig etc keep the light away from the water at all times, im no expert but if you mean to SEE whats happening your missing the point, its all about feel and using your senses

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you mean to change lures/ re rig etc keep the light away from the water at all times, im no expert but if you mean to SEE whats happening your missing the point, its all about feel and using your senses
No Carl,I meant to keep a check on my surroundings.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what sort of surroundings are you fishing graham?
I'm hoping to be fishing off of spits and around estuary mouths,not the safest of
places in daylight and the shoreline in general.
I may well visit other trickier marks as well,just like to stay safe!!.

·
Registered
498 Posts
im with you now, its surprising how much your eyes adjust after lights out, im new to the rocks/tides at night but have found you can concentrate more in the dark less distractions, good luck anyway mate

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm hoping to be fishing off of spits and around estuary mouths,not the safest of
places in daylight and the shoreline in general.
I may well visit other trickier marks as well,just like to stay safe!!.
Hi there, if you dont know the mark like the back of your hand I would certainly advise against trying to fish it at night!! Its catch 22 for you unfortunately, fish it at night with a headlight and risk spoiling the fishing which would probably happen and still be quite risky trying to limit the amount of light at a mark you didnt know well enough to fish in complete darkness. On the sewin rivers I guide, the terrain of every single beat is mapped out by individual guides (as we are all different heights and our individual steps vary) and noted on paper, access points, gravel beds, boulders, ledges/drop-offs, slopes location points etc are all thouroughly mapped. Lights are a deffinate 100% no go!! its all night fishing in complete darkness, as a guide I am responsible for the safety of the client and I need to know exactly where their feet are!! I sort all their tackle, leaders, tangles, changing flies etc and having done it thousands of times so doing it "blind" has never been an issue. But like I say, you need to know it like the back off your hand (even the access paths) to fish it 100%!! having doubt and worry about your surroundings will spoil your fishing and could be dangerous/risky. add a light source to the mix and your session could be ruined before even tackle up. Not trying to put you off or make it sound life threatening!!!! Just my personal experiences.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know what your saying Iestyn,in all honesty I'll probably start from the shoreline and
take it from there,using a low lumen light glowing up the beach for changing tackle etc;.

Now then,what about taking a pic of that 5lb,er..........:-o:-D

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Cheers Iestyn.

I'm always careful to let people know where is safe etc too around our coastal marks.
Probably harder than rivers in that our tide is vast in range and 'knowing' takes years and hundreds of trips out over a mark in darkness.

However: You can see if you let your body train for night sight.
Anyway, even starlight and residual or ambient light is better than a new moon night under tree canopy somewhere on a welsh freestone river.
That's real night fishing.

Just learn to do stuff in the dark like knots etc...
Practice it at home under low candlelight. (impossible at first LOL)
Worth the effort though imho.

Photo's:

Flash kills the fishing.
I fished last night and deliberately didn't take pics because it was hard enough already.
People don't realise, but, we don't line shots up with lights, we get a feel for the shot in the dark, half depress and bang...

And people whine about the photo's being off sometimes..

I say to them...

You are welcome to try it and, if it wasn't for the blog, we wouldn't take photo's at the detriment to own sport.
I reckon it looses you 50% of the potential catch. In both time lost and the flash spooking fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts