The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning my first night session - dusk to the wee small hours. The question is, what tactics/lures would you use?

I know that at night everything needs to be slowed down but is top water lures such as Z Claw and Patchinko worth a go? Poppers? Or just stick to shallow water lures such as X120 and Feed Shallows? Soft Plasics?

The ground I intend to fish is relatively shallow and a mixture of light rock/shingle and sandy patches. This area has produced well for my friends and I during the day and is a nice safe option for my first night (lure) fishing trip.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Andrew,
Personally I would go with the Feeds over the X120-more presense in the water=easier for the bass to find. I would give the topwaters a go, but like daytime. You will tend to catch more subsurface. TM SLD-F slowly retrieved work for me as well.
Success rates go top Feeds/X Cross, then TM then topwaters (with a rattle).
Just go slowly and assume any water over ankle deep might hold bass, and you should do well.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I'm fed up of getting a heart attack when I step into the water to wade and having the water erupt as a Bass bolts from the shallow water! Scares the crap out of me

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Mark,
Been there myself-too many times before I learnt.
But why is always a decent sized bass that spooks??

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
No idea! I believe it may be due to the law of Sod. Quite often its literally six inches of water within 6ft of the dry sand.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
One important tip I would like to mention is if you can manage it try not to wade out,I know this can be difficult at times when trying to get to a certain mark but over the years I have spooked many a big Bass in only a couple of inches of water so now I try not to do it when night fishing.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I'm used to it now. Most of the Bass in the really shallow stuff are in amongst a lot of weed. I target those fish by dropping something called 'bait' in close on dark nights when nobody can see me!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi Mark - you could also try dropping something else called a "small weedlessly-rigged soft plastic" in. ;-) Situations like this are tailor-made for these kind of lures.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Hi Ian

Unfortunately its in the loose weed that swirls around everywhere, broken up rolling along the bottom and suspended mid/top water, smothering a lure within seconds of touching water. I'll film it next time, as it happens every time!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Mark - I know exactly what you mean. Twice this season (in daylight though) we have spooked good bass out of what seemed a filthy clogged mess of weed. Typically on days when we were struggling too, just to addd insult to injury!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Ohh, I seeeee! Do you just lob the bait in short then and keep the rod high to try and keep the line as free as possible from the stuff? Sounds infuriating...but challenging. Is it a calm spot? If the bass are under the floating weed maybe you could try a float flicked onto the top of the weed and let the bait drop through and suspend tantalisingly underneath...
Be great to get a huge erruption of chaos under the float eh!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts