The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some advice regarding which SP,s to buy for Harbour wall fishing this Winter for species like Pout , Whiting and Pollack , I have bought a packet of Reins Rockvib 2” King Silver and a pack of Reins Aji Meet - Setouchi Chirimen in 2” to start off with, also various jig head sizes from 6,4 and 1 .I intend to fish harbour walls at night so if anyone has had any good results with any other SP,s I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Go back through some of the catch reports from last winter from the Jersey guys. They arranged lots of bumbles and caught loads of fishing using LRF. Keith and **** should be able to help with selection.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Its worth a look on AGM and Camotackle for SP's as well. One of the main things to consider is type of tail. I used little paddles, straight tails, fluke tails and curly tails etc. It would change on different nights as to which would work.

The actual SP sizes ranged from Keith's 'plankton' lures, which are called Yamash ita Worm Bakes I think, which were maybe 15mm long, up to maybe 3 inch lures, such as the Megabass Tiny Xlayer and 3inch one-ups.

You'd have thought that little Pollack and Pout would be suicidal when taking little lures, but it was shown on numerous occasions over the LRF sessions that there was marked preference for certain things. Rigging a 2inch curlytail on a Carolina rig with a swan shot as opposed to on a 1g jighead could mean the difference between plenty of action and blanking.

Don't be adverse to customising what you use also, I couldn't get bites on the Tiny Xlayer one night, so I chopped an inch and a half off the front, and started getting bites, but not that many. So then I cut the tail up the middle an inch or so to make it a fluke tail, which gave it a little more fluttery action, and got a few fish in the end, that I wouldn't have picked up otherwise.

Dont rule out the little metal blade baits either. Keith destroyed us a couple of times when testing them out against little SP's, deadly for the Pollack at night. I think they were designed for Oz Bream, Ecogear do some I believe.

Its good fun anyway, worth getting into. It takes your mind off Bass in the colder months. I would recommend also purchasing a good flask and a fuel burning handwarmer, essential pieces of kit on my trips last winter!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Great post Mark.
I agree, the diversity was astounding sometimes and in previous years or seasons we'd have walked away thinking no fish were there.

I think Carl B will be on the metal this winter. He has hoards of the things.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice one Mark. May have a crack at that in some of the Whiting/Pouting infested waters around here come winter. Sounds like you really need to be thinking on your feet to keep catching though.

Nice tip on the handwarmer.

·
Registered
498 Posts
need more fly boxes keith lol!, only caught the tail end of lrf this year but have been looking at the same sort of reins gary, but like mark says give the metals a whirl, the jaco vibs and cymos that mr fish stocks have kept me entertained (and a good way into lrf i think) and pollock love them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts