The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have recently started a 10+ session modular course with JBG Keith.

I have had 3 sessions so far, 1st session at night we hit a beach, learnt a lot about structure, tides, current, techniques etc - I managed to catch a schoolie on weedless SP, and Keith managed a schoolie and one about 3lb , both on weedless/weightless SP

2nd session - day time , we went for wrasse to learn new techniques and ground , I have allready done well myself on wrasse, landing a 5.2lb a few months ago and many smaller ones since, but was good to learn some new techniques and to catch and gain confidence in diff styles - it was hard going that day with lots of bites but found it hard to get them to commit.

3rd session - Night time, hit a rock Mark with Keith and Kevin (2 for 1 deal) - was good fun as was a mark with a few diff spots to fish, was shown a few more techniques to try out, and more teaching regarding rock marks and wading, moved around the mark a bit trying hard to get a bite - unlucky that night as none of us caught! - but was told when this place fires, it really does!

2 nights later I returned to same mark to see how much I had learnt/remembered and to familarise myself with the mark some more - started on 1st spot using the retrieves I had been shown, managed a fair few bites but no hook-ups, as the tide dropped, moved onto new spot.

Thought would try OTD as knew it was a bit deeper here, 1st cast, followed lure to bottom, left a few secs, flick, wind, drop, wallop, rod bent double, drag screamed off but realised I had it set to loose and was going to struggle, a great fight with lots of big thumping dives but hassle playing with drag and the fish grounded and snagged off.

re-rigged leader/lure - 2nd cast, cast, drop, wait, flick, wind, drop, wallop, rod bent double, same mental big thumping dives, great fight again, heart pumping, think I gave it a bit of slack and it was gone.

New lure as lure trashed - 3rd cast, cast, drop,flick wind, drop, wallop, rod bent double, again big thumping dives, drag set right, I slowed things down and tried not to panick, concentrated not to bully or give slack, great fight for few mins, flicked on red light to see a nice big silver coming in towards me, by this point I was about 4ft above water and unable to get into position, my m8 climbed down on to ledge, tried to get his hand in mouth but missed , went for the leader but then looked down and my m8 was hugging the fish for dear life and determined not to let it go :)

6.5lb of shiny silver - my m8 took 3 pics on phone then battery died, pic does not do it justice but was bang on weight and 65cm.

re-rigged new lure - 4th cast, cast, drop, wait, flick, wind, drop, wallop, same big strong dives, and then was gone -unsure what happened there.

stayed for about another 45 mins, few more bites and my m8 had a nice fish on and then off again and that was it, it went quiet - headed back to car head spinning and buzzing with what had just happened to me.

Night lure fishing is just mental , I had a ok sesh about 3 months ago in dark but have struggled to have again so confidence had dwindled - I am now addicted to Sp's and am going to give up the Crack as the buzz from a big fish on a lure in the dark will take some beating and I cant afford both (joking - I will get a 2nd job) ;-)

Back to the modular - I have not met someone as professional and knowlegable as Keith (even if a bit OCD) but I work in mental health recovery so maybe we can help each other a bit :) - when I first arranged the course I wondered on weather it would be to much to take in and if could keep up and hold my own.

I was wrong as from what I have learnt and seen, it is going to be a steady, long learning/teaching process and at a pace that suits the indivual and what is required - and the way it is presented is sound.

If I took up golf or tennis, I guess I would need lessons to help my game - so to me it is well justified, and can only see it as something that will evolve my fishing in ways I would not of been able too otherwise - thats what I told the Mrs anway!

Oh and cheers to my my m8 Kev the Bass hugger ;-)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Fabulous report Dave, well done :clap:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well done Dave,great stuff,I can see by your expression how much you enjoyed catching that fish.

"Priceless"

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great post Dave. As you know I am similarly nuts about this stuff although sounds like I need to catch up with you ...!!

Great fishing and congrats on your new pb

The great thing is that, in previous years, this is when I pack up...this year, the season is just beginning......

·
Registered
260 Posts
Great report - just the sort of thing I need. Wonder if there is anyone doing something like that my way :idea:

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
totally agree i've been lucky to have gone out with very confident and enjoyable teachers in ben field and simon lewis both very friendly and more than willing to show you the art of lure / sp fishing .got to say it does seem like everyone on this site is that way inclined to.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great report Dave and well done mate...night fishing was always and still is my favourite but still a virgin to night lure fishing must try it in Jersey....:-D:-D

That first night must have a bloody bright full moon..still got your sunglasses on your head.......:shock::shock:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
That first night must have a bloody bright full moon..still got your sunglasses on your head.......:shock::shock:
Dave and the other modular guys are doing very well indeed and, as planned, doing the business when alone too.

Trev, as a hardened and well trodden night lure angler, you now know why we wear sunglasses on full moons. It so bright and if not careful, moon tan can burn a bit LOL. I wear factor 40 on a full moon btw.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
could you explain the big moon theory to me please Keith?? Maybe on a new thread?? as I fished great ground and alot of hours and didn't get a fish all that week! I wasnt sure but it seems a big coincidence that the moon was soooo bright and I kept blanking.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
No coincidence Ritchie. I had to work my a** off to put guys on fish last week. It was exceptionally tough.
However: This week, put the effort in as the winds back off. New moons, post storm, rising springs...

Could be very good.

I will write something on the moon stuff and post a new thread though.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Dave,
Now I've exerienced the night fishing in Jersey with Keith and Kevin I can confirm that it is great sport and that you couldn't find a more professional couple or guys. I'm sure you'll carry on having a great time and learning lots from them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts