The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is the time of year when night plugging seems to explode around the sussex coastline, the odd fish or two of the preivous months night session can become a dozen or more.
My preferred night time marks are wading marks, fewer slippery rocks, and you can feel the current/tidal flow against you. Slow working lures, surrounded by water, and the noise of the odd fish about is fantastic.
My lures of choice have been a black sld-f145, feed shallow mullet, super spook jnr in mullet. Also the Daiwa X-Cross is getting them at the moment. Nothing like the feeling of a hook up after dark!!
So are other members getting into after dark fishing, now the nights are starting to get longer? If so, what has been your best lure?? and what would be your best tips for a new night fisher??
Tip1 from me-set an alarm on your phone/watch for the turn of the tide, when the flood starts, start backing towards dry land. No "just a few more casts", getting wet in the day is a hassle. Getting out of your depth at night can be scary. Pushing the limits is fine-but only after several daylight practise runs.
Tip2, have a water proof light (and a back up, and check the batteries of both BEFORE getting to the mark) close to hand, if anything goes wrong-light on.
Tip3, Relax, it is the same mark as it is during the day-Just with more feeding bass!! I have seen people so tense they are knackered after half an hours fishing.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Funny you should say that....
I was out wading around in the dark lastnight. No fish though, no signs of fish either but it was very breezy making fish spotting in the dark that bit harder.
Favourite lures? Something I can work slow and shallow with a good action. X-cross 95 in no or little current, Saltiga minnow, Ima gene 110, feed shallow with a bit of current. Top waters in the dark are a 'work in progress'.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I would say its worth having a wading belt with your boga and your pliers/forceps close to hand attached to it. Organisation really helps you fish smoothly. I normally wade, and when landing fish I grab the line by hand, tuck rod into my wading belt leaving both hands free to boga the fish and unhook quickly. I haven't been doing the dark stuff long, but I only go out on the ebb at the moment, purely for safety reasons. Wading staff is handy, I have a telescopic one that goes in a holster, again on my wading belt.

Its a brilliant feeling being out there though as Dave says, and I have no idea why I didn't start doing it earlier. Kicking myself thinking back over all the bait sessions I've had where I could see fish working, but it never even occured to me to lure fish in the middle of the night. Thanks to Keith and Kev for bringing the darkness 'to light' !

PS Just to add, I have mainly been fishing hard lures to start with, sub surface. Black X-Rap, Black Maria Angel Kiss, Megabass X-120. I had one last night on the new Rapala lure as well, the Max-Rap I think? Very much like the Tide Minnow.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
what would be your best tips for a new night fisher??
Be open minded and forget all the habits of daytime lure fishing. You are in for a treat if you give it enough time.
Tip1 from me-set an alarm on your phone/watch for the turn of the tide, when the flood starts, start backing towards dry land. No "just a few more casts", getting wet in the day is a hassle. Getting out of your depth at night can be scary. Pushing the limits is fine-but only after several daylight practise runs.
Consider wetsuit fishing for this exact reason. Often, at night, fish come extremely shallow. NO LIGHTS.

Tip2, have a water proof light (and a back up, and check the batteries of both BEFORE getting to the mark) close to hand, if anything goes wrong-light on.
Contrary to the above, carry 2 lights but don't use them whilst fishing or over the water. In fact, carry backups and, if offshore any distance, carry a compass and LEARN HOW TO USE IT. Take daylight bearings and clear night time ones too. Don't guess, be safe.

Tip3, Relax, it is the same mark as it is during the day-Just with more feeding bass!! I have seen people so tense they are knackered after half an hours fishing.
Actually, we find Bass at night on marks that are completely devoid of Bass in daylight. Some are universal but the best ones are often in the craziest places.

I would say its worth having a wading belt with your boga and your pliers/forceps close to hand attached to it. Organisation really helps you fish smoothly. I normally wade, and when landing fish I grab the line by hand, tuck rod into my wading belt leaving both hands free to boga the fish and unhook quickly. I haven't been doing the dark stuff long, but I only go out on the ebb at the moment, purely for safety reasons. Wading staff is handy, I have a telescopic one that goes in a holster, again on my wading belt.

Its a brilliant feeling being out there though as Dave says, and I have no idea why I didn't start doing it earlier. Kicking myself thinking back over all the bait sessions I've had where I could see fish working, but it never even occured to me to lure fish in the middle of the night. Thanks to Keith and Kev for bringing the darkness 'to light' !
Wading belts are essential. We have recently, (last year or so) switched to rubber dive belts and hardware to connect boga and pliers too. Rubber fits over whatever clothing you happen to be wearing at the time. And, is more comfortable. Wading staff is a MUST on some runs Mark. Crossing 8 knot tides in the dark isn't a fools game for long.

Night Bassing is something we have 2 decades of experience with on lures and I will say, categorically, it is head and shoulders above the potential of daylight lure fishing. Like anything else, it just takes practice and, a leap of faith.

Go to it.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Keith,
for that, Totally agree about lights out while fishing-only meant putting the light on if things start to go pear shaped-calms people down straight away.

Another thought for someone wanting to try night fishing it to think about a venue with artifical lights on the shoreline. It can be a helpful if your not used to fishing in the dark-As they give you a easy refference on the shoreline. I totally agree with Keiths comment about a compass-I carry both a compass and a small GPS-not only to make sure I get back in OK. But to get to areas that I know hold bass at particular times of the tide at night. Easy to lose your sense of time and distance while fishing at night.
Keith's comment about bass being in the craziest places at night is so true, and if the lure is in the water-concider it to be fishing, especially if there is any current/flow. A mate I took out not so long ago, was chatting to me, while his lure was floating in about a foot of water (we were on a sand bar about 400 yards offshore) and to his surprise it got nailed by a good bass, picture him rod under his arm-drag screaming.

One thing that has worried me about a couple of marks I like to fish-Is what would happen if a couple of bait fishers turned up and started belting 4oz leads out. Makes the first couple of hundred yards out and in abit nervous.

Keith, Any tips with regards to lures??

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Be open minded and forget all the habits of daytime lure fishing. You are in for a treat if you give it enough time.

Actually, we find Bass at night on marks that are completely devoid of Bass in daylight. Some are universal but the best ones are often in the craziest places.

Night Bassing is something we have 2 decades of experience with on lures and I will say, categorically, it is head and shoulders above the potential of daylight lure fishing. Like anything else, it just takes practice and, a leap of faith.

Go to it.
I agree absolutley. Until this week i haven't lure fished for bass in the day for nearly 5 years, preferring night time. So many places I have fished for hours in the day without a take, and then, as soon as it's really dark, it comes alive with bass. Small soft plastics like charlie brewers bass sliders in pearl white are my best catcher, closely followed by rapala CDJ-9. I'm not so sure that lights put the bass off, one of my mates fishes with his light on and it's doesn't seem to upset his catch rate in fact he'll say it helps. Streetlights and other fixed lights aren't a problem at all.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Great idea for a thread Dave, I only tried night plugging for the first time during the week so I've been thinking about this stuff a lot over the last few days. Unfortunately I didn't have any luck on my first outing but its certainly quite different to plugging in the daylight and can be a little disorientating at first. It's funny that if I was bait fishing my preference would immediately be for fishing in darkness yet for some reason the opposite for lure fishing and I've no idea why I've never tried it before but its something I'm going to be doing a lot more of in the coming months and I'm interested to hear what lures you guys are finding effective and also how you fish them in the darkness, and any other tips.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Adrian, I've still to try those bass grubs in the dark, but they saved us from a blank on Sunday when the bass followed but refused all our other offerings. Night fishing is on the agenda this season for the first time. Got a few safer beaches with rocky areas that we know hold bass, but are safe from an access and wading point of view. A major consideration when you have a teenager with you!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Another thought for someone wanting to try night fishing it to think about a venue with artifical lights on the shoreline. It can be a helpful if your not used to fishing in the dark-As they give you a easy reference on the shoreline.
Very true. Start this way but wean yourself off lights for the most consistent fishing. However, some area's that are ambient lit can and do produce BIG fish. Be careful people don't see 'YOU' though.

Keith, Any tips with regards to lures??
Use a dark lure that sort of does everything. I'd actually recommend the Xrap 12.
Has lots of feed back, casts well and catches fish. If in shallower water, feedshallow rules.

I agree absolutley. Until this week i haven't lure fished for bass in the day for nearly 5 years, preferring night time. So many places I have fished for hours in the day without a take, and then, as soon as it's really dark, it comes alive with bass.
I hate daytime Bass lure fishing. I always feel something is missing. And, it is.
The dark.

Unfortunately I didn't have any luck on my first outing but its certainly quite different to plugging in the daylight and can be a little disorientating at first. It's funny that if I was bait fishing my preference would immediately be for fishing in darkness.
You've answered your own question there. Stick with it, you'll do well.

Got a few safer beaches with rocky areas that we know hold bass, but are safe from an access and wading point of view. A major consideration when you have a teenager with you!
Absolutely. At first, tread carefully but, you'll both soon get a feel for it. Eat lots of carrots LOL.
Actually, I laugh but, both me and Kevin find working/fishing in darkness isn't that bad. In fact, the waters around Jersey aren't really that dark until we away from all the spill over light from the shore. Damn light pollution. People should be fined !

·
Registered
229 Posts
Any recommendations of SP's to use at night?
I guess heavy (in themselves) ones so you can slow it all down.
Are there suspending SP's, SP SP!!??

The thought of twitching a neutral SP at night sounds great.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Had a go at it there last week fishing on in to the darkness is a totally different buzz your senses are a lot more aware of what your lure is doing in the water, found the feed shallow mullet to be a killer on a slow retrieve,great buzz when you get in to a few fish....loads more to come..

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Very good thread and as one who hasnt yet lure fished at night I am keen to try. Is it all top water/shallow water stuff or is twitching something like an Xlayer along the bottom worth a go?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I had a go last night on a local mark in North wales fishing the Ebb tide, I was fishing a gully that was cutting through a sand bar with a strong tide rip going through it,started off using a Feed Shallow but did not get a take with it so I swaped over to a IMA Komomo and started to catch.

I was disapointed with the Feed shallow after all I have heard about the lure the Komomo on the other hand worked well by holding my rod up high and working it close to the surface to create a wake, the gully was about 8ft deep in the middle and I recon the fish were holding just on the seaward side of it and moving further down as the gully was getting shallower.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ry,
I fish the spook on a slow steady WTD, I think it is the click click click that the bass home in on.

Andrew, Can't see any reason why an X Slayer wouldn't be worth a trying-Maybe Keith or Kev would be able to tell you the best way to fish it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've put in plenty a red-eye session but have yet to catch in the dark. I've done much better at dawn/dusk.

Any views on whether Full-moon is better/worse than complete darkness?

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I would like to hear peoples opinions on the moon too, I have caught on full moon nights and on completely dark night (mmm, it may have been before the moon rose though...).

As for the Xlayers, some french friends told me when they fish Xlayers in the dark they really leave long pauses between the smallest of twitches, they were saying minutes between!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Any recommendations of SP's to use at night?
I guess heavy (in themselves) ones so you can slow it all down.
Are there suspending SP's, SP SP!!??

The thought of twitching a neutral SP at night sounds great.
Yes there are but, they are all custom made LOL Serious.

For suspending SP's, dropshot.
But dropshotting techniques don't have to be traditional in nature. We dropshot wacky alot from shallow ground and, dropshotted paddles in current ?
Go and see.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Very good thread and as one who hasnt yet lure fished at night I am keen to try. Is it all top water/shallow water stuff or is twitching something like an Xlayer along the bottom worth a go?
Top water ? Sucks at night too. LOL
Really, it works but, it has such a poor track record we rarely bother.
OK for schoolies racing at the dinner bell though.

I've put in plenty a red-eye session but have yet to catch in the dark. I've done much better at dawn/dusk.
Without seeming rude, you must be doing something wrong then. Bass and indeed most predators are way more active after dark sets in.

Any views on whether Full-moon is better/worse than complete darkness?
Complete darkness 50% better at least overall. No kidding, darker the better.

As for the Xlayers, some french friends told me when they fish Xlayers in the dark they really leave long pauses between the smallest of twitches, they were saying minutes between!
Yep, those French guys aren't far wrong.
There is a load of stuff on my blog and in CI catch reports guys on how we fish xlayers etc. A very, very versatile lure indeed.
Like anything, it requires confidence and, the knowledge of when, where and how it works.
And, most importantly, when it doesn't.

I find xlayers better in moving water for Bass.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts