The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im about to splash out on my first expensive bit of tackle tartness so im looking for a surface lure eg patchinko or z-claw and a sub surface lure i need to it be a shallow diver because where i fish is very shallow and rocky.....so what i want to know is any + or - of the mentioned lures and what sub surface should i go for?

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Kevin, your choice of surface lure is good , its just a matter of making your mind up which one !! subsurface first choice for me would be the feed shallow mullet or the orange and silver , another very good shallow lure is the duo terriff .
Good luck with your choice

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Totally agree with Bob,
For a shallow runner the Feed Shallow in Mullet is a great lure, saved me from many blanks. It is a silent lure, if you fancy something with a rattle the Duo DC12 Terrif in the mat silver with blue/black back has caught me some bass when they were being fussy.

Surface lure wise, Very hard to choose between the Patchinko (full size) and the Z Claw. I did well on both last year, Patchinko has the edge in casting, But the Z Claw in Mullet, did catch several good bass for me last year.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hard choice between the z claw and the patchinko. I would take the patchinko as it can be used in a wider range of conditions whereas the z claw is only good for calm water.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok i think i will go for the patchinko as a surface lure but any tips on best colour??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
My top 4 surface lures, in no particular order are-
Xorus Patchinko
Lucky Craft Sammy
Heddon Super Spook
Yo-Zuri Mag Allie Magnet

I've had most of my fish on the yo-zuzi but i reacon this is due to being slightly more than the rest

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Kevin at the moment i cant go wrong with the patchenko frosty in yellow. Have caught on my last 4 trips with it.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
My favourite colour in the Patchinko is Nacre (or Sandeel). Bobs favouite is the Yellow. My best seller is the Silver/Black (strangely) and this is a colour that I never use myself!! Wierd. In the Z-Claw, my favurite colour is the Ghost Claw, the best seller is the Chatreuse and then the Ghost Claw and then the Mullet. I agree with keven about the Super Spook, no surface angler should leave home without one, a dog to use some days but deadly when worked very lazily, my fav colour is the only one you need HOS Chatreuse.

Feed Shallow, I love the P4 Sandeel and the 11 Mullet and they are by far my best sellers with Silver/White up there with them.

Duo Terrif, brilliant lure and it was what we used to use before we all found the Feed Shallow, because of the amazing ammounts of fish this lure used to take before the Feed came along, we all still love the Terrif over here. Like Dave said, the matt coloured ones are by far the best sellers and my favourite is the Matt Iwashi.

A shallow lure that no one evr mentions but has caught me shed loads of fish and saved the day on numerous occasions is the Flashmer Dogger, it is awesome and like the Feed Shallow is very easy to use it is also very shallow and you can make it run litterally with a cm of water over its back.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which SPs can be worked on he surface and how??

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Most slug and stick baits work superbly.

Sluggo, Senko, Fat Ika, Xlayer, Xorus Rolling Stick, DOA Jerk shad etc...

Work them just like a topwater hard lure and make adjustments in cadence for the way the lure swings, rocks, tumbles and/or sinks/floats.

Sluggo's in 6 and 7.5" work superbly well as they cast weightless very well as do the DOA.

Giant Xlayers sink very, very slowly between twitches as they have a float tendency unrigged.

Don't use a clip as it throws a spanner in the works.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Kevin,

Another tip is if you would like an SP to "pop" a little then just cut its nose off to make a flat surface. If your lure is running true with the hook actiing as a keel, you can play around with the angle to make the lure do other things (eg an undercut will help it plane to the surface). You can rig it weedless (but see Keith's comments on texan hooks) and chuck it into the gnarliest spots. If you do lose it you are down a couple of quid, not £20.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts