The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past week now i have seen plenty of Bass following my plugs but they really are not interested in hitting them I have tried every tactic i know Every plug i own has been launched at them to no avail On the up side though ther are plenty of sandeels in the water The rockpools on this stretch of coast are alive with small fish Not long to wait i think

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Good to hear that the fish are there mate. Might even have to travel down at some point in the next 10 days or so before they make their way up here. Weird they're not having it. I'm sure youll have been doing the right things in the right places.

·
Registered
66 Posts
re; no takers.

just a "flash in the pan thought"has any one found they get follows but no takes when the squid start to show?
My brother and i spent a mega fustrating week last sept on the lizard ,just as loads of squid showed along the south coast.
Now we all expect the fish to b a bit late this year after the long winter but are the fish there and preoccupied on squid or just nervous about hitting anything up in the water? after all a squid must be on the menu for mrs bassy but its a big old target and could give a hell of a bite with that beak?
Please feel free to shoot my idea down, like i said its just a thought, but the squid are now showing along the south coast and it could be a coincidence.
Matt w

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oddly enough i saw several cuttlefish swimming around the base of the rocks

·
Registered
849 Posts
Does seem a coincidence with the Squidleys. :|

Well done for trying though and at least you've seen fish!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Could be a factor. Can't write anything off I guess.

To look at it slightly differently, with the water being so clear and so calm at the moment, have you stepped down your line or anything at all Marq, or gone on to smaller lures? There are a few things I do when its bright, clear and flat and it'll usually involve stepping leader diameter right down (and lengthening it).

I'm inclined to think that if a fish is following a lure at all then it is interested in eating it. It wouldn't be bothering otherwise. Right now is an especially difficult time in these conditions because the fish aren't so active, there isn't so much 'fish' food present (compared to the summer), and they don't have as much competition with other bass (when there are 2 or 3 fish present I think its easier to persuade one of them to bite - because of competition between the group) - plus the sky is blue, the water is extremely clear and the surface is flat calm. All of that together makes it mega difficult to induce a take.

Normally, I'd probably fish a smaller lure quite quickly to try and induce a reacton strike and just make them grab it in anger. Because of the above though I don't think thats so possible at the moment. It may work, but...?!

The only bait I was happy with when we were down in Looe last week was a weedless, lightly weighted XLayer just twitched back reeeeeeeally slowly and fished on a light leader. When we cant anger them in to biting, the only other thing we can do is go super 'natural'. They're refusing standard lures because they don't trust them, and possibly because they can afford to be picky if there is other food around. Normally I don't so much agree with people who say lure fishing is about imitating a wounded bait fish (its very often about just pi**ing them off, for me), but this is one case where natural will be best I think.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Ben I must confess to not scaling down on line or lures I do have a Bass fly in my lure box which i was going to use as a teaser Has anyone tried this method I thought of removing the tail treble and attatching it to 12 inches of line so as it trails behind Or would it be better in front of the main lure

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Hi Ben I must confess to not scaling down on line or lures I do have a Bass fly in my lure box which i was going to use as a teaser Has anyone tried this method I thought of removing the tail treble and attatching it to 12 inches of line so as it trails behind Or would it be better in front of the main lure
Teasers have been discussed quite a few times in the past. Here is one of the threads http://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=2168&highlight=teaser

I'll admit to not having tried it too much myself, but fully intend on doing so this season. I have plenty of little SP's I can use from the LRF gear I have accumulated this winter, so looking forward to giving it a whirl.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yeah I'll have to try one this year as well. Not done it before. I'd imagine they'll be easiet in from of the lure Marq. I know some people suggest using them behind but I can imagine line getting caught in the lure trebles way more often than you'd like. I'll be using one in front.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts