The Lure Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the north coast around Port Isaac early yesterday morning - nothing to show, clear water and very cold NE wind and a lumpy swell so not surprising. Sea appeared barren with no bird activity. Decided to try for some warmer water further west so took the kayak down to Mounts Bay and fished along past Marizion and then around St Michaels Mount.

The wind was still a problem but it did drop as the evening wore on, sea very clear with not much signs of life, no bass but managed several small pollock on a light dexter wedge whilst trying for some mackerel.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Good effort Ben! I'm on the North coast around Padstow and like you say, it is a tiny bit quiet still, although there's a bit more life in the pools starting to show. It won't be long until there are fish around (in fact, I've heard of a few now on bait slightly further North). I'm giving it a couple of weeks to be honest and concentrating on other stuff in the meantime. I'm fairly certain that up here the water temperature is a degree or so cooler than the south - since we're round the corner from Lands End it takes a little longer for the warmer water to sweep around to us.

There was definitely more life down around Looe when we were there last weekend. Noticeably so. Still not too much getting caught on lures as far as I know, so well done for giving it a go. I'm quite happy catching pollack these days.

Where abouts are you based? I'm thinking of taking the light rods down to Mevagissey tomorrow night to catch a few under the lights.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ben, I live between St Mabyn and Blisland - it would be good to meet up for a session soon. Good luck tomorrow, I'm taking our boat out tomorrow to try and pick up some bigger pollock out behind the island, may venture down to the Quies as well. Will let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Ah, cool. Somewhere around Longstone? I grew up in St Mabyn and St Tudy (went to St Mabyn school). A couple of winters ago I actually lived with some family just outside Blisland.

Keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts