The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of us from here are off to Norway in a few months, cant wait tbh. Any of you been up there? I am just wondering if any of you had gone light with the tackle and rods? I am hoping for a 20-30lb Coalie on a super Mix? Does anyone have any experience of reel size ets? I cant wait to video some of this light tackle fishing.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I spotted those Van Staal jigging rods in your shop ****. You are keeping those quiet?!

·
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very well spotted mate, I havnt mentioned them to anyone. There are some Fin Nor jigging rods there too. This thread is not a marketing ploy either btw, I aint mentioned them because I want them for myself ha ha ha

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
****, i think this venture is going to be great for the light tackle tarts , the rods will cope, who cares if it takes 10-15 mins to raise a big coalie or cod thats all part of the expierence. you against the fish.
The gear will be fine , them big flatties well thats another challenge, he who dares Rodders he who dares !!

:laserswords::lol:

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hey guys - take a look at some of these;
http://www.jiggingmaster-ag.com/view_product_d.asp?id=18
http://www.awpdistributions.com.au/productlisting/fishing/jigging-rods/hots-wei-world.aspx

mmmm mm 3Kings Special! http://www.jiggingmaster-ag.com/view_product_d.asp?id=113

May have some kit to lend if you want? would love to see you jig up some big flatties on a Stella :D

To answer ****'s question about reel sizes I am only really taking two sizes with me to St Brandon's - 4000SW and 18000/20000SW - only reason for the big boys is line capacity (120lb and 170lb braid @ 300m)
Its all about the drag - so Twinpower SW, Stella SW, Branzino's should be OK and the VS's should also be OK - depends I guess on how much braid and diameter you want to carry ...do you know how deep you are going?

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
will be heading back over in august with the same intentions 20 -30 lb coalies all the way, will hopefully learn from you experience

·
Registered
716 Posts
Intense;y jealous, you should have a blast - those big coalies are immense, and you will wonder what on earth all the fuss is about all those big cod when you hook a few of them......

I remember using a spinning reel around a 5000 size, loaded with 30lb braid and an 80lb leader to the lure clip. Not sure if you need that much, but it worked well for me on the spinning rods for the cod and the coalfish. Halibut are a bit of a different matter, especially when you consider they have had them over 400lbs around there......

I went back to Rost the year after we filmed a programme there to take photos of a couple of mates trying to catch big coalies on the fly. They did it as well, but in between taking photos I would sometimes "by mistake" drop a lure down and smash a few big coalfish. Couldn't not.

Very silly I know, but I managed to take one of around 35lbs on my spinning gear without giving it one single millimetre of line. I just wanted to see what would happen if I locked down on the spool and held the fish - would the rod break or would the line go ? Neither. Held it, the rod went over and over, I got my face out of the way in case the thing snapped back at me, but that tip went right over and obviously stopped the fish right in its tracks. Cue silly smiles all round.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I use a 9 feet heavy-duty spinning rod and a Daiwa Saltiga 4500 filled with 50Ib braid for this type of fishing when I’m back in Lofoten and Vestralen.

However, I use two Gummimakk teasers/droppers when I’m fishing from a boat (only one from the shore) and I have had three coalfish exceeding 10kg/22Ib take all at once. In fact, Gummimakk has been around in Norway for decades, but are still one of the most efficient lures for cod and coalfish in existence.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250461226590

From my childhood I can remember my father hooking up 6 or 7 coalfish at once, all between 15 and 25Ib, using a homemade traditional Norwegian hand-line (seidorg or fiskeharpe) trolled behind the boat. To describe the landing of that many large fish, on a hand-line, as anything other than carnage is an understatement.

http://www.elbe.no/Produkter/Havfiske_og_Sjofiske/Fiskeharper/594

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I should also add that I’m only using the spinning outfit when I’m casting metal lures such as Stingsilda 75 grams or Jensen Pilk 100 grams.

http://www.solvkroken.no/produkter/slukwobblerspinner/sluk/stingsild-18---75g.aspx

http://www.solvkroken.no/produkter/pilk/jensen-pilk.aspx

For more traditional pirking/jigging I now use a 20-30Ib Penn Waveblaster 7.8 feet rod, fitted with an Abu Ambassadeur 9000BG that has been filled with 40Ib Power Pro. It may seem over gunned but as I have pointed out above when you fish with teasers you risk hooking multiple fish above 20Ib, which means that you will need every bit of power available to you.

Reactions: Mick Ward

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
When I went to Norway in 2008 I took a 6ft Shimano STC Bass travel spin rod paired with an Abu Revo to have a laugh with and had cod up to 14lb on small jigs and toby spoons. I think I remember you saying about Skjervoy ****, there's an island directly out from the marina where if you go past it the water drops off to 300 METRES, but the bigger coalies are underneath the baitballs in this deeper water. I used a 10ft 6 Shimano Beastmaster Uptider and Abu 6500 with 150g Williamson Speed jigs, pink was the killer colour all week bagging me a 22lb cod, a small hallibut (profile pic), haddock to 8lb, and an 18lb coalie that took as my leader knot went through my tip ring!!! I'd try to avoid having more than one hook as you won't be able to get through the 2-3lb coalies to get to the bigger stuff. I took standard 30-50lb gear too but had too much fun with the lighter set ups that it was hardly used.

Oh, and make sure you go underneath the bridge in the evening, it's THE most spectacular sight. So many fish topping it's rediculous!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
roll on arvor time in skjervoy happy days any one know how many day light hours are the middle of august..

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
It was light 24 hours when I went in the last week of July. VERY disorientating after a while!
plenty of red bull will need to imported in to norway with the fishing gear so it would be rude to miss every opportunity available....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Norway meeting

We have arranged a meeting for all the guys from Jersey who are coming up to Norway in june.It will be held at the yacht club on south pier at 7pm wedensday the 17th feb.
We have an admiralty chart to go over grounds,dvds of last year with cod to 50,coalies to 30,halibut to 150 plus some tasty haddock & plaice.We will also cover tackle, not so much about what to take but what can be left out or shared,weight restrictions on airlines are a f#####n pain.
We will go through travel plans & costs, 6 flights,2 ferry,1 transfer,1 hotel & 2 taxi's.(It has'nt been easy!).Extra costs such as rod tubes,taxi's,
boat fuel,food & beer will have to be considered.

Tight lines Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cant wait Steve checked the TV out tonight and it has a VGA out so we can just plug in the laptop to get the dvds/pictures working.

I will bring my laptop along and get it set up before hand.

Have you managed to find a puffin soft/hard lure?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
nice one on the tv Liam.
Still not found a puffin imatation,thinkin of paintin one of those pigeon decoys black & white!ha ha.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
11 days to go & its killing me! Invested in a new rod to try on the Halibut & i'm itching to christen it. Its the Decompressor 50 fixed spool jigging rod by Tenryu. Besides the odd bycatch Halibut on heavy spinning rods i dont think there being targeted on the latest fixed spool boat rods.Think about half of us going up will be f/s only, the rest will only be using multipliers on there heavy rods.It will be interesting to see if the f/s gear can match or better the more commonly used multiplier gear.
Anyone heard of how the fishing is in the Lofoten islands at the moment?

·
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got myself a Tenryu Dent de Chein and a Van Staal 250 for the Halibut, loaded with 90lb Varivas 8 strand GT braid. That should do, if it doesnt then I dont want to catch a Halibut!! I cant wait to hook my first big Coalie, I think I will **** my pants. Please god be kind with the weather, this trip has been planned for a year now, long time coming, my heart goes in my mouth when I think about Rost.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts