The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there is going to be a lot more to follow, so the story before we get to Rost.
After 3 flights,a minibus, an overnight stay in Oslo and a taxi we had got as far Bodo.We still had quite a few hours to kill before we caught the ferry to the island of Rost in the Lofoten islands.It was a toss up between the pub & testing out the fishing by the ferry ramp.Some of us fished a variety of jigs & baby pirks catching small codling to around a pound,while reeling one in a dark shape loomed out of the depths following it.Shouts of look its Halibut! thats awsome,amazing or 4 letter words that meant the same rang around the dock.The hooked cod was dropped back to the Halibut & you could watch as the mouth opened & the cod was gulped in, plenty of line was fed out to make sure of a good hook hold. Now the fun really began, it probably had about 15 seconds before it was leaned into
no strike as you just make them angry(not a good idea!).Another minute & it realised something was wrong,then followed the first of several strong dives followed with bouts of gentle coaxing back up again.This went on for 15 or so minutes before it was coaxed close enough to the top for Roj to do the gaffing.The Halibut weighed in over 20LB,
not the biggest by a long way, but being caught on a 60g Tenryu supermix 240 lure rod from the shore, it was to set the pace for many light rod angling achievments through the following week by all 13 anglers.
A thanks to all the guys.

ps it was the tastiest harbour fish ever!
more to follow

Reactions: Mike Hayes

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great start to whet the appetite with that report Steve, can't wait for the rest :-D

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Oh yeah he forgot the funniest part :-D !!! when we arrived at the rost camp , sorted out cabins etc he came out to collect the filleted halibut , only to see the resident black cat :shock: scampering off carrying a bloody great fillet of the halibut :-o .
After giving chase it dropped the fish so black cats aint always lucky ..:rofl:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Think the black cat getting its own back, can't seem to get my pics over from photobucket.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Ferry ramp Halibut

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

one of my favorite pics,playing a Coalie on the mix.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Off on a Coalie raid

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The lads

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey Steve.
Thanks for putting this up. I realize that you dont know me from"Adam", I'm new, ok.
Anyway, I am hoping beyond hope to get to Rost next summer with my son (15) Altho I have their price list etc, I have little or no idea on what all the extras are going to come to. Cost wise. Is there any chance you could give me a rough idea of what extras you had to pay for on your way to and whilst in Rost please? Be that the cost of the fuel (I assume this will be on top of the boat cost), lures (or did you take your own), anything and everything really, thanks.
I just hope I get to give my son as good a time fishing as you and your party seem to have had in Rost.

Many thanks, Andy

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
will sort out all the info in a week or two & post it on here Andy.

Reactions: Andy K

·
Registered
268 Posts
Many thanks Steve. You're a god send!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts