The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I want to get into rock fishing with lures and I will be targeting pollock, bass and wrasse.

I would like to know what sort of rod/reel I would need like what casting weight as I am currently thinking 1oz-3oz.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Dave's right 10-40gm is the casting weight I would be looking to start with at between 8-9ft and a 4000 shimano or 3000 daiwa reel when you feel more experienced with lures you may go lighter on the rod but also depends on budget, don't look at high end gear as the way to start it won't catch you more fish learn the waters around you it's worth thousands in tackle

·
Registered
649 Posts
All good advice weight and length wise- some prefer or follow the trend for shorter rods but I too find the extra useful. There are some very good rods around at the budget and mid range that needn't cost more than 100 squid and at around 55 quid a front drag shimano exage won't let you down. Henry Gilbey's blog will give you some very useful reviews of rods and there are some good threads on here on budget but effective lures. There again you may want to splurge on a top the range outfit if you can. The lure world is your lobster- enjoy it ;-)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
There are a lot of different different styles of fishing that come under the 'umbrella' of rock fishing, but as has already been said.
You wont go far wrong with an 8-9 foot rod somewhere in the region of 10-40 grams and 3-4000 size front drag reel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts