The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wouldn't normally bother posting a non lure fishing pic but I had this little beauty whilst trotting a red and white maggot along a small carrier river, whilst fishing for grayling with Vidar yesterday. A bit of a surprise to say the least :)

 

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
Joined
·
2,560 Posts
Are u sure that isnt another one of your homemade boga's Andy, just kidding. Thats a great picture, as Paul said look at that jaw. Gonna show my FW ignorance here, whats with that jaw anyway? shape wise I mean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know that much about Salmon but from what I can gleen from various tit bits, the jaw is all about showing off, not sure it has any function. A bizarre thing though, it's been said many times that Salmon build up fat reserves so when they enter FW to spawn they don't eat. Well this one was chasing smaller fry in a weir pool and it took my offerings intentionally. Double maggot on a size 14 barbless hook, on 4lb hook link. Gave me the run around for 5 mins before I managed to net it, with the help of Vidar who had wandered over to see what on earth I was making such a meal of landing ;) It was a bit exhausted (like me) so we didn't weight it but Vidar estimated it over 5lb's. Not a big fish but what a surprise. Cracking fight on light gear. Oh and the photo simply doesn't do the colours justice, stunning looking fish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,218 Posts
Super fish Andy, I thought it was some kind of 'cheeta' trout type hybrid with the reddish markings.....but the kype(?), well I know some very good brown trout develop them but then so do the salmon. Corker of a fish anyhow. Some say that the salmon does not feed when in the FW......did thoses maggots scare him into an attack you think??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Softie. I don't know that much either but when a life long angler from Norway says, "You've gone and caught a f****** Salmon" I tend not to argue :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
softie said:
Super fish Andy, I thought it was some kind of 'cheeta' trout type hybrid with the reddish markings.....but the kype(?), well I know some very good brown trout develop them but then so do the salmon. Corker of a fish anyhow. Some say that the salmon does not feed when in the FW......did thoses maggots scare him into an attack you think??
We were fishing a small carrier to the River Test (the main river was in flood and carried more colour than espresso coffee) and there isn’t supposed to anything else than brownies, rainbows, grayling and coarse fish in addition to the occasional salmon and sea trout.

If it is one of the trout variants that develop a jaw like that (personally I can’t say with 100% certainty because I have never seen one) it has ended up in the river under cloak and dagger :) :) :)

The weather and the fishing conditions was appalling with even the carrier in flood and full of weed, but we ended up with a dozen trout each and I was lucky enough to catch one of the few grayling that came out during the whole day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
It is a male (cock) salmon. cock fish develop more pronounced snouts (or kype) when entering freshwater prior to reproduction. the kype is used by males (cock) to show their dominant characteristics, as they do not feed in freshwater it does not impair them. its also worth mentioning that although we fish for salmon when they enter freshwater and supposedly do not eat, the reason they are caught is the aggression and territorial instinct in the fish to chase of other competitive cock fish or "threat". the only way they can do this is with there mouth!! hence fishing flies in certain ways to induce the fish to "test" said item with its mouth. the word test has been collectively changed to "take". the reason this fish was in this tributary is simple.....this is where it was born! still much un-discovered but truth is (from extensive tagging and rearing programmes) the fish will return to its birth to spawn, i personally still find this awe-inspiring and simply incredible. the colouration is due to the fish being in the river system for around 2 weeks, the male fish are the first to arrive at the spawning grounds and usually outnumber the hen (female fish). here is a myth and quite interesting... some anglers call theese coloured fish REDS. most probably confused with sockeye salmon which do actually turn quite bright/crimson red. but our salmon don`t follow this trait of the sockeye. The truth is in the spelling which correct is REDD and is the nest the hen fish makes prior to releasing her eggs in the depression created in forming the redd. for further proof that salmon do not feed in freshwater is to look at their physiology, namely their stomach and the changes it goes through. The stomach actually disintergrates leaving more room for sperm/eggs they live off their stored fat reserves in their tissues resulting in dis-colouration, a breakdown in the cells of the flesh and are considered poor eating value when they are at this stage (they do not fight particuarly well either and should be returned immidiately with minimal contact) most salmon in supermarkets are farmed in saltwater purely to remain pink/coral flesh on the inside and silver on the outside (yet taste crap!!) the ultimate for salmon anglers is a fresh-run fish like a bar of silver still carrying sea lice, i must addmit to having kept quite a few cock fish (which largely outnumber the hen fish) but practice and preach the release of all hen fish. in fact the estate i guide for states this so people are aware prior to booking! sorry to go on guys, i only wanted to give a bit of an insight into the salmon!!! i blame blockhead for catching it!!! :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,218 Posts
Mr Zzippy said:
It is a male (cock) salmon. cock fish develop more pronounced snouts (or kype) when entering freshwater prior to reproduction. the kype is used by males (cock) to show their dominant characteristics, as they do not feed in freshwater it does not impair them. its also worth mentioning that although we fish for salmon when they enter freshwater and supposedly do not eat, the reason they are caught is the aggression and territorial instinct in the fish to chase of other competitive cock fish or "threat". the only way they can do this is with there mouth!! hence fishing flies in certain ways to induce the fish to "test" said item with its mouth. the word test has been collectively changed to "take". the reason this fish was in this tributary is simple.....this is where it was born! still much un-discovered but truth is (from extensive tagging and rearing programmes) the fish will return to its birth to spawn, i personally still find this awe-inspiring and simply incredible. the colouration is due to the fish being in the river system for around 2 weeks, the male fish are the first to arrive at the spawning grounds and usually outnumber the hen (female fish). here is a myth and quite interesting... some anglers call theese coloured fish REDS. most probably confused with sockeye salmon which do actually turn quite bright/crimson red. but our salmon don`t follow this trait of the sockeye. The truth is in the spelling which correct is REDD and is the nest the hen fish makes prior to releasing her eggs in the depression created in forming the redd. for further proof that salmon do not feed in freshwater is to look at their physiology, namely their stomach and the changes it goes through. The stomach actually disintergrates leaving more room for sperm/eggs they live off their stored fat reserves in their tissues resulting in dis-colouration, a breakdown in the cells of the flesh and are considered poor eating value when they are at this stage (they do not fight particuarly well either and should be returned immidiately with minimal contact) most salmon in supermarkets are farmed in saltwater purely to remain pink/coral flesh on the inside and silver on the outside (yet taste crap!!) the ultimate for salmon anglers is a fresh-run fish like a bar of silver still carrying sea lice, i must addmit to having kept quite a few cock fish (which largely outnumber the hen fish) but practice and preach the release of all hen fish. in fact the estate i guide for states this so people are aware prior to booking! sorry to go on guys, i only wanted to give a bit of an insight into the salmon!!! i blame blockhead for catching it!!! :lol: :lol:
Wow, excellent info there mate and I'll add......excellent Salmon Andy, well done!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
What a fantastic bonus catch. Bravo for landing it on such light gear as well, Andy. Iestyn, no need to guess what you are pasionate about!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Me too. What a great reply. I am a bit confused though as I'm sure it wasn't my skill that hooked the Salmon, but it did take a double maggot offering trotted along the bottom which seems strange if they don't eat in FW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
Blockhead said:
Me too. What a great reply. I am a bit confused though as I'm sure it wasn't my skill that hooked the Salmon, but it did take a double maggot offering trotted along the bottom which seems strange if they don't eat in FW.
This is just one of life’s paradoxes ;) ;) ;)

Back in Norway I have caught hundreds of salmon to over 25Ib using classic worming tactics so they will indeed take natural baits despite the fact they don’t eat in freshwater.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,081 Posts
Guy's,

Have only just read this thread and what a cracker it was ;) Thinking of trying for some Pike in the next couple of weeks while the sea is quiet, just need to find somewhere first.
Stunning fish Andy :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bob it was that big honest it was. I can't say he's my lucky mascot as he usually whips me for numbers, species and size of fish so this one was worth savouring :)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top