The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else noticed a big increase of pollack this year compared to last year?

Bass have been scarce on my marks but pollack have been plentiful where as last year I only had a handful.

I had 9 pollack last night to 2lb all to the same lure.

But this weed huh? After about my 20th consecutive retrieval on a suspending diver where I had to spend 15 seconds removing the bloody annoying sh!t from my lure I actually shouted out through pure frustration "oh for f**k sake!" as 2 holiday makers passed behind me enjoing a romantic stroll.

P1010001..jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi James, not had 1 this year! However, this is probably mostly cause I have been fishing in the day, although I did manage get a few last year by Egypt Point.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had a few at weekend although i did target them as i was sick of blanking for bass so was a confidence building exercise ,plenty about but small compared to this time last year

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
James I would agree, I have noticed alot this spring, and a wee bit biger than usual. I know alot of people that would agree too, Nelson had about a dozen a couple of weeks ago to about 4lb he recons, all on the softies.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The same for me. I have caught no Bass, but loads of Pollack. Significantly bigger than usual - good to know it's not just me or my local area!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think its fascinating that we are all experiencing it, any marine biologists on here that can answer it?
Hi ****, I am, in fact a Marine Biologist, and it is safe to say, that I have no idea.

Well, thinking aloud it could be that the cold winter has delayed the return of our more active predatory fish (Bass, Mackeral etc). Throughout the winter and spring here in Cornwall I have observed plenty of sandeels and other baitfish. Maybe in the few months absence of other predators, the remaining Pollack filled the niche of 'small baitfish predator' and grown rapidly on the available food.

Just a theory...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts