The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads feel like the new boy on his 1st day at school.I recently hooked my first bass and now i am hooked would love advice on your favourite lures and the type of rods and reels i should be looking at as a novice. DEL

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi and welcome to the world of lure addiction Derek!

Im pretty much a novice myself so wouldnt presume to give advice other then make good use of the information freely given on this forum and spend as much time getting lures wet as you can!

Im sure some of the guys from your neck of the woods will be along to give you some specific info in due course

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi nigel it was a fellow bass angler who told me about the site while out plugging last week he was very helpful on the day. Looking forward to a good weekends fishing heading out saturday and sunday with a mate of mine who caught his 1st bass last week lovely 5 pounder. DEREK

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Hi Derek and welcome aboard.

Those questions will inevitably throw up so many answers as everyone chips in with their favourite tackle. Are you looking to use hard baits or soft plastics, LRF or HRF? There is a lot to learn!! By reading just about everything on here, including Tims excellent suggestion above, you will probably see a patern of items that get fequently mentioned that could narrow down your search that are within your chosen price range. But, so many answers can be more confusing!! Alternatively, call one of the shops that advertise on here as they all know their stuff on lures and having dealt with each one, I can vouch for their profesionalism. You would definitely end up with balanced gear designed for the type of fishing you plan to do.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Welcome Del. Blah what ever information you can for free. Try as many different styles / length rods as possible before you buy. This sites great and everyone on here's still learning...

·
Registered
498 Posts
hi derek a good place to start is a read through " a googans guide" by kevin white, you'l find it at the top of the learning section, good luck

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Welcome Derek............to the land of the tackle junkies.........:-D:-D

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that link Tim gives you pleanty to choose from .I find there a some lures out there at the moment catch more anglers then fish so the advice is much appreciated.DEL

·
Registered
498 Posts
no probs del, heres a few sites of use that get mentioned a lot on here, agm tackle. mr fish jersey and jersey bass gudes last two have an ad on here

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Derek, firstly welcome to the forum. As been said already we are all on a learning curve, its a good site with a varied level of experience and approach. The forum itself is a wealth of posted knowledge that the members willingly and passionately pass over. I hope you enjoy your time here and any issues just yell.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think some people have far too many lures and spend most of their time wondering if another lure would work better. No need for more than a dozen lures, a couple of jointed rappalas or similar, a few spinners, abu toby's or dexter wedges are good and some redgills, I find the pearl ones are best.

Rods aren't too critical, I used to use a ron thompson but broke it, then i used an old 11" coarse rod for a while but it broke too. Now I have a berkeley lightening which I am more carefull with! You are probably best to accept reels as being temporary so buy fairly cheap ones, shimanos, abu's and daiwea spinning reels can all be had for around £30 in 3 or 4000 size.

Most people favour braided line but I prefer a good mono as it's cheaper and more forgiving.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Richard,
Well I will tend to disagree with you, Yes you can catch bass (and in quite good numbers and sizes) with almost any gear.
However the right lure (be that size, action,working depth or even colour) can and does dramatically increase the number of bass that you will catch. Also while you can cast a plug with almost any rod. A rod designed for plugging will allow you to impart more action to the lure. The use of braid will also (99%) help you, with greater feedback on what the lure is doing. It will also allow you to cast further.
However you DON'T have to spend loads of money to have a really good set up, But sometimes a few extra quid can make a big difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Dave, good for you, how boring it would be if we all agreed all the time! I understand what you are saying, but the cheapish gear I suggested will catch fish, as you said, without spending too much. After all when getting into a new hobby it's best not to spend too much untill your sure your interest will last.

As for the mono/braid thing maybe mono is a bit more forgiving for beginers? I started with braid and used it for a few years but got fed up with the tangles. So now I use mono and replace it when it gets a bit rough. The lures I suggested were cheapish but well proven, so if they loose a few early on it's not too expensive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is just meant to give you an idea, it is what i done when i started out.

I bought a shimano vengance rod 2.4m 10-30g £30
abu 102R fixed spool £30

That set-up was fine for when i started and it caught me quite a few bass, when you up your gear it will feel so much better but for a cheap rod the shimano was not bad at all.

lures you need to decide what you want to do, then there is a post - best lures (i think 2009) and it shows the top 5 of members choices. The way i see it you can't go far wrong with the ones the guys on here voted for.

I'm not saying go out and get the stuff i've described but at least it will give you an idea

1 - 20 of 50 Posts