The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a quick trip to one of our north facing harbours last night. Started at about 8pm and finished at 12-30. I tried loads of different lures and methods during the last of the daylight wihout any success and as darkness fell, I started to feel more confident.

I had my 2 rods with me (RLSD & ULX), and despite using nearly every sp I own, I couldn't manage a single bite. About an hour into darkness, I noticed some baitfish had turned up (Grasdo's?) but still no takes. For a final throw of the dice (cover your ears Keith) I clipped on a 4" white sidewinder. First cast, bang, a healthy pollock of about 1 1/2 lb. Thinking I was about to start bagging up, the next 20 mins saw no more takes.

I then went up on the top wall to try a different area, and as my sidewinder was nearly back, a large (probably 2 1/2') pink battleship appeared out of the gloom to inspect the lure. A quick change to an egi and bang, an ika of about 12" grabbed hold.

I carried on for about another 20 mins, but I couldn't persuade any others to bite.

I just wonder how much, the squid are still influencing the fishing, as I always wonder whenever it seems quiet, if they are the reason?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Well done Gary. Having been over there recently, i concur with Kevin - no squid over there at this time of year ;)

Si.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Good stuff Gary, trying lots of different things got you something in the end, well done !

·
Registered
340 Posts
Fair Play on the squid!

was downst caths last week and seen about 20 squid chilling in the sun on low tide , my mate put a jig past them for about half hour but they showed no interest , even breaking formation to swim around it.

Squid in may....................................................not round here!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Tut tut gary i thought you were an honest man! youve been telling porkies havnt you?

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
You idiot thats not a squid, it cant be, they only come here in the autumn. Well done mate, we are anglings versions of myth busters, Chris "the squid" only needs a flat cap and he is away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts