The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I'm off to Newquay on friday for four days as my girlfriend has a surf comp. The competition is based at fistral but in between surfing, I'm hoping I can find some time to chuck a plug or two.

When I went over last year I surfed this great little spot called crantock and I remember at high tide I had to paddle out through a rivermouth. I was just wondering whether anybody on here has fished there before? If so was it any good?

Or is there places near fistral that produce fish?

I'm not expecting guys to tell me there spot but would be good to get a fish whilst I'm over there.

Thanks

Rich

Rich

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Ritchie not fished Crantock but Harlyn bay ,Trevone, Constantine and Mother ivys are always worth a chuck. Best of luck.Look forward to your catch report.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Ritchie! You're in my area so we'll hook up! Have fished Crantock a few times and it can be ok! Not tried the river mouth itself though, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately! See what the swells like when your down and I should be able to point you in the right direction for surf and fishing! I'm actually a little further up the coast around Harlyn and Constantine. This is also an area you should consider as there are a decent number of surf beaches all facing different directions and working in different conditions. That's the surf anyway. Fishing is the same though.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hey Ritchie,

Yep crantock works. Have fished it on the flood and followed the tide up the river which is called the gannel, It does hold alot of fish that are on their way up river to feed on crab shrimp prawn. You can fish quite a way up river if the tides are big. Have been told the gannel holds alot of sea trout but not sure on this time of year.
Do hook up with ben if you can get north as he's the local sage for the harlyn padstow area. I surfed harlyn two days ago and it was pretty lush, needs a 6ft+ swell on west facing beaches to work good as it faces NW but is a winner on a SW wind plus on the north side of the beach there is a great reef all the way to trevone, had a few follows there this week and a stonking wrasse so you can kill two birds with one stone so to speak.. Also check out Porth which is about 1 mile north from newquay for fishing look on a map and you will see its potential.

Hope all goes well for the trip, resist the temptation to get too mashed in newquay as theres some great waves and fish to be had for the surfing pluggers amongst us!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts