The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went out on a Pig hunt with Keith today .

Met up near mark and had a look from up top, decide to head down to a reef and fish it all along - also Keith showed me a new to me casting technique which would prove invaluable in the pending session, spent 10 mins trying this out in carpark while keith got ready!

Tried for about half hour with one or 2 bites in a cple of spots, both moved and keith hit into a small wrasse, I was getting a few bites, next thing heard keith fish on, turned around to see his rod bent double, but then in a flash it was gone - Keith gutted as he knew he had lost a big one!

Fair few more casts each and not much happening, tide dropping decided to move on round.

We both started getting a few bites , keith was getting good knocks close in under a ledge but the fish would not commit to his lure, rather than change lure Keith let me have a go for this fish, had a few casts but nothing, next cast, fish on, a nice wrasse of 3lb to start me off

Moved round a bit and seen a submerged head, getting better with casting tech got my lure nice an close to head, was deadsticking lure for about 2 mins and felt a small knock, then wallop, drag screaming and some big thumps, rod doubled over (know I know what candy cane is), knew was into a good fish, got it to the suface and could see it was a good one - fish out, photos, weighed and released - 5.2lb :)

So I have not beaten my PB as my PB was allready 5.2lb caught early this year, but at least this one I can weigh in to the comp!

Decide to move again , seen another head, pitched in, waited, waited, knock, wallop, fish on, drag screaming, rod bent over, thumping - Fish Off! - gutted as felt a lot more than one before

Carried on getting a few bites but no fish , went quiet for a bit and we looked at new ground, clarity was getting worse the futher we moved , decided to head back round, for a hour or so more before dark, both started getting bites and a fair few more fish landed all giving a good account for themselves even tho smaller, I lost a fair few too at last spot

I lost one xlayer + jig head early on then moved to weedless jig/ 4" Senko, I did not change or loose another lure, all fish fell to dead stick senko - and no fish where harmed in the making of this thread :)

Headed back up the headland, 6 wrasse each, more lost by both - good day off work for me!

Am loving the wrassing at the moment, its almost like the early season again and they are feisty - off out 2mro morning to check some holes that did good for me months ago!

·
Registered
498 Posts
some good fishing there guys, great report dave and well done on the new p.b m8y
bet luke getting nervy now!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Brilliant Dave, great report and stunning fish :p

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great Pic's Dave and stunning fish...they really are great looking fish........:-D:-D

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Cracking report and photos Dave. Those Wrasse look superb! I managed my first few Wrasse on lures from Cornwall this year and I was very pleasantly surprised - what fun I had considering I was after bass! I just wish we had some decent Wrasse marks nearer me.

Great fishing!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Great fish Dave.

I doubt most people realise how light the gear you used is. Must have been welll bent in.

Just to make you feel even better I doubt that your fish was the biggest at that mark!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great fish Dave.
I doubt most people realise how light the gear you used is. Must have been welll bent in.
Just to make you feel even better I doubt that your fish was the biggest at that mark!
Cheers paul -

We knows it wasnt the biggest fish 4 sure!

The top half of my rod was bent double, but then the power from the butt kicked in and tamed it!

Gear used :

Shimano Dropshot 7' 3 - 28grm
Twinpower 2500
Daiwa tournament 8 strand 20lb
Owner 3/16th weedless jighead, 4" senko.

Cheers to everyone else for comments, best part is catching the fish then telling you lot all about it ;-)

Went out for a few hrs this morning before work at 1.30pm, conditions very different to yesterday, lots of swell had only had 3 bites in 2 hrs - left Keith down there fishing, reckon it was going to get better tho as tide dropped etc.

5 days left to catch a porker!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
It did Dave but not much..

Had 4 smaller (2lb or less) Wrasse just after the current switched.
Water the colour of snow melt, bigger swells.

All fell to the Axe Claw swimming just over the structure in the now running ground swells which made serious bottom work impossible.
Different day, different results and, different method.

Pays to be versatile.

·
Registered
498 Posts
n1 again dave, would have liked to see the d'shot bent over!!, there good eh!, one sunday left for me with the piggybank, good luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts