The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.abt.org.au/tag2010

Gents

For those of you who have asked about Oz bream techniques, or for those of you who wish to read some detailed technique articles that are applicable and adapatable to UK/Ireland/Europe, please follow the link above

Some very interesting stuff thats at the cutting edge of Oz Bream Tournaments

Nick

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
great link...

Thanks.

We could have written alot of that..
Really interesting that we are really catching up and those guys have a huge circuit now.

btw guys, that bassday sugar pop method is essentially, 'skitting' a topwater.
Different continent, different name.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Good one. Really nice to see some of this stuff written about in full-on magazine format.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lads

I'm also going to see about downloading it and making it inrto a kindle friendly format
Not sure if anyone else has a kindle but will keep y'all posted anyways ;-p

Nick

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Thanks for the link, great stuff. Myself, Vidar, Faye, Mike Kennard & Brian Limage went out into the channel last week to have a go at lure fishing for Black Bream. We failed miserably on lures but picked up an aweful lot of info on habitat, currents, tides, morsels of choice etc etc. We all flitted between the dreaded bait and soft plastics but we were severely lacking in deep sea knowledge when it comes to Bream. Mike went LRF into 45ft of water and was very successful with cuttlefish and squid strips but little joy on SP's. I hooked a good sized fish during slack water on a 1oz lead and a cheesy worm using the silver shadow but it bent the hook out (too light obviously and far too much drag, muppet). We all reckoned it was do-able with the right approach during slack water but as the tide started to run we were up to 4oz+ in lead to hold bottom, except Mike who was fishing so light PE1.0 he kept the weight down and still hooked fish. Good ones too to over 3lb. Most of hadn't ever caught Black Bream before and they fight hard, looking forward to learning more about them and having a second crack at catching them on lures.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link, great stuff. Myself, Vidar, Faye, Mike Kennard & Brian Limage went out into the channel last week to have a go at lure fishing for Black Bream. We failed miserably on lures but picked up an aweful lot of info on habitat, currents, tides, morsels of choice etc etc. We all flitted between the dreaded bait and soft plastics but we were severely lacking in deep sea knowledge when it comes to Bream. Mike went LRF into 45ft of water and was very successful with cuttlefish and squid strips but little joy on SP's. I hooked a good sized fish during slack water on a 1oz lead and a cheesy worm using the silver shadow but it bent the hook out (too light obviously and far too much drag, muppet). We all reckoned it was do-able with the right approach during slack water but as the tide started to run we were up to 4oz+ in lead to hold bottom, except Mike who was fishing so light PE1.0 he kept the weight down and still hooked fish. Good ones too to over 3lb. Most of hadn't ever caught Black Bream before and they fight hard, looking forward to learning more about them and having a second crack at catching them on lures.
I think the Bream in the UK and a slightly different kettle of fish (geddit?) tot he Bream in Oz
Oz bream are very much an estuarine/inshore species that occasionally goes offshore
From my limited experience of UK bream it seems to be vice versa here
OZ style Snapper techniques may work better (blades, bigger sps on deep water)???

Nick

·
Registered
554 Posts
Cheers for the link mate.
If anyone is interested the Australian fishing championships is on www.myoutdoortv.com which is coverage of bream and freshwater bass tournaments. some good stuff to be picked up..
Also a load of other american bass/striper fishing videos and all sorts of lure fishing and techniques etc for all sorts of species, some of it's good, a lot of it's rubbish.
thanks again for the link.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I think the Bream in the UK and a slightly different kettle of fish (geddit?) tot he Bream in Oz
Oz bream are very much an estuarine/inshore species that occasionally goes offshore
From my limited experience of UK bream it seems to be vice versa here
OZ style Snapper techniques may work better (blades, bigger sps on deep water)???

Nick
Nick,
I lived in Sydney for a year and spent a lot of time fishing for bream and flathead around the harbour with SPs. A steep learning curve to start with but I sorted it after a while with some good results. I was hoping to catch on the same kit What I hadn't appreciated was how hard the tide pulls in that depth of water so a bit more experimentation is required. the fact that Colin caught one on a Dexter Wedge (!) shows they will take lures but like you said the environment is very different. The TDZ2000CU, 4lb Fireline and some of the Atomic 2in grubs were the very same that I caught many bream on in OZ!!!!
I am sure it can be done, just not a convenient or cheap learning curve.....otherwise we would havce cracked it by now.

OZ bream tackle will take flounders, pollack, gars, mackerel and many other species though. Check out the Jersey guys exploits and dust off your bream gear.....

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
That, after reading nearly the whole thing....

was damn good.

Now, why aren't British anglers treated with the same level of information ?

Is it that we are stupid or that UK Magazines have simply lost touch ?

Brilliant stuff in there.

Any more ?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Thanks for that link beachalot. Just spent the evening watching a few episodes. Inspiring stuff.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That, after reading nearly the whole thing....

was damn good.

Now, why aren't British anglers treated with the same level of information ? it that we are stupid or that UK Magazines have simply lost touch ?

Brilliant stuff in there.

Any more ?
Australian magazines are generally like that - very high quality content
there are 4 or 5 that I can think of off the top of my head that are as good as if not better than anything anywhere else in the world
unfortunately I'm sadly not able to say the same about uk fishing tabloids oops I mean magazines

They are missing a major opportunity
if you build it they will come

nick

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
The top water feature was top notch, cheers. Interesting how a predatory fish is a predatory fish, no matter where in the world or what species it is, they cant resist a pause and a few quicks jerks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Remind me of OZ Modern Fishing which influence a lots of angler here in malaysia....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts