The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those guys I'm meant to be contacting this week....

Please be patient.

Took a fall earlier, phone is dead, waders are ripped, right knee is very sore..(it was already hurting anyway).

New phone tomorrow and I'll see if my SIM and memory has survived.

If not...

Just in case, can everyone PM their phone numbers to me please. I might need em.

I'm fine, just bruised ego. Water is warm enough to skish in so, at least I found that out.

If I hadn't been wearing a wading belt, it would have been MUCH worse.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Keith,
Good to know your OK, As you say, one wrong move is all it can take, even for someone as experienced as you are.
Hope the war wounds heal quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Phones and waders can be replaced, lives can't ! Glad you are OK Keith :-D

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK Keith. Your knee was giving you gip already so it must be bad now!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Point taken - I need a wading belt. What's the best bet?

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
One good thing Keith no broken bones m8... law of average says we will all go tits up on rocks one day glad you are ok ...By the way we were out on the boat fishing today !!!! hooray .
There was one hell of a loud bang :-o we heard was that you landing on your rump..... :badlol:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nice to see the God of vengence is very quick in responses to those who mock me Keith. Welcome to my world. LOL

·
Banned
1,282 Posts
Glad your ok Keith, it scares the ****e out of me even thinking about having a bad go like that.My local marks don't even have a reliable phone signal. Wading belt just been put in the van,just in case...

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Glad you are ok Keith.
I am just about to invest in another wading belt,I'm in trouble at the moment with a bad back (trapped nerve) and I'm going to get one of those Simms back saver belts to use as a wading belt.
Once again glad you are ok.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everything seems fine this morning. Knee is sore though. Phone is replaced and charging now.
Seriously, I fell in the water. Back pack on, 2 coats, with all the hardware.

I felt the rush of water but i got top heavy, real fast. Clothes absorb water faster than you realise.
After getting the rods and reels to safety (lol) I struggled to right myself. I was lower half buoyant for sure.

Didn't panic, no harm or foul as these things happen but....

If I hadn't been within arms length of weed on rocks, righting myself would have been harder.
The wading belt kept out a ton of water. When i actually got out and unzipped the top part of the waders a huge deluge of water destined for the inside of the waders by the legs was released. Maybe 1.5 gallons ? It was alot !

Really, with the huge amount of hours we spend fishing, we don't do bad regards falls etc.
Skishing is way safer imho. Can't fall, can't sink...

Can't wait...only days away now.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Everything seems fine this morning. Knee is sore though. Phone is replaced and charging now.
Seriously, I fell in the water. Back pack on, 2 coats, with all the hardware.

I felt the rush of water but i got top heavy, real fast. Clothes absorb water faster than you realise.
After getting the rods and reels to safety (lol) I struggled to right myself. I was lower half buoyant for sure.

Didn't panic, no harm or foul as these things happen but....

If I hadn't been within arms length of weed on rocks, righting myself would have been harder.
The wading belt kept out a ton of water. When i actually got out and unzipped the top part of the waders a huge deluge of water destined for the inside of the waders by the legs was released. Maybe 1.5 gallons ? It was alot !

Really, with the huge amount of hours we spend fishing, we don't do bad regards falls etc.
Skishing is way safer imho. Can't fall, can't sink...

Can't wait...only days away now.
Glad your ok,thing is lots of people dont use wading belts (dangerous).
You are used to being in the water and know what its like etc with the skishing,we all take risks as its difficult not to but I really do think that more should be made about what happens when you fall in without a belt on.
There will be people out there that think the 'belt' is just an accessory.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nick:

I think a belt is essential.

Me and Kev wear ours as a utility belt that serves as a wading belt. Ours carry pliers and boga grips on lanyards.
I still use a webbing belt. That is being phased out as Kevin has trialled a rubber dive belt and that is way better.

Kev's is quick release so when we are skishing, should the need arise to drop the belt, it can be done really fast.
Rubber is better because, your clothing can change from trip to trip and adjustment of a rubber wade belt is far easier. Rubber grips the waders too helping with stopping water intrusion.
Nothing actually halts water getting in, it just slows it.

Now, even though I said this....

I would recommend wearing a wading belt higher than our utility belts, or...

wear 2.

The higher, the better. At chest height would be way safer but maybe restrictive.
The point you make about comfort IN the water is a good one. I am not fearful, even in pitch black of falling in.
I'm experienced and calm enough not to worry. I am around guys I trust too.

You, the reader of this post needs to assess the risks. I would wear a belt. 100% I would and, that's why we do.

A 2" rubber dive belt might save your life.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts