The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going Ormering tomorrow at Les Minquiers. Any tips? I dont even know what one looks like! How do you cook them as well?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its like a big Oyster apparently...you get them on big tides at low water, only a couple of tides a year you can do it. Its 38ft tmo and have been invited out on a boat across, so going to give it a go.

·
Registered
779 Posts
worth a pretty penny they are - not many left Ive heard

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
They're a mollusc. Like a big limpet sort of.

Looked today, waters bloody freezing, none about where I went though it was fresh turn. Had 2 velvet peelers instead so not a total waste. They are now residing in my tank. Be aware there is a minimum size. 80mm in Guernsey, not sure about Jersey though.

ormers.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ormer

For you guys on the other side of the pond i think the ormers english name is the european green abalone.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found 11 in the end. Just about getting some feeling back in the fingers, and waders are now like sieves. In my defence I did have a hefty hangover and did a lot of sitting on rocks. If I went again though I reckon I could double that amount, was getting the hang of it by the end. The Minquiers are stunning.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How did you eat them in the end Mark?

I got some and bashed them for a while, then dipped them in flour with salt and pepper and fried in butter.

I was surprised how nice they tasted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts