The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Popped out today hoping to catch my first Bass of the year. Things didn't quite go to plan and after two hours of trying for a bar of silver I got fed up!

I moved along the rocks a bit to try for a Wrasse, 3 casts produced 3 fish, with this being the biggest:

4lb 8oz

Had a couple more after that one then called it a day.

I'll be out again tomorrow after a 5lb+ Wrasse!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Good effort Liam, very nice fish and I would have been more than happy with that :jump: Was out myself today for a couple of hours but blanked, good to try out my new lures though :bangin:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes SW. I slept through my alarm so I've missed the tide at the mark I was intending to try. I'll have to wait a bit now and head off to a different spot.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Nice one m8. Beautiful fish.

Been on a few marks recently, some have produced small wrasse, some blanks too.
These better tides are bringing renewed hope and your pictures add to that.

I've had a few nice Wrasse this season but I was just telling Kev the other day, winter gets
tough but, my biggest of any year normally come in the cold months.

Would be nice to get a big 6 or 7 on plastic.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I went out for an hour or so yesterday with Dave (Tunny) and we both blanked. I would love to catch a wrasse of that size on a lure of any kind. In fact I would probably spend a lot of time fishing for them and ignore the bass. Fantastic looking fish. Well done. Great winter sport if you can find them.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I've never caught a Wrasse. I'd love to catch a beauty like that !! :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
saltiga said:
Great winter sport if you can find them.
This is the key. I have caught them with 7 deg water, frost on the approaching slopes to the rocks and
bloody freezing easterlies. In the summer, they are everywhere here. In winter they get funny. Some marks
produce on different tides than in summer. I've always sworn by getting a push of current IN TO where the Wrasse are.

In winter this doesn't always hold true. Many times, high but slacker water brings fish. However, normally in places
where you can still fish close to the low water marker. This usually means steep too cliff's etc.

on our SW and many North coast marks, we can find 14 - 17 meters of water but it is usually accompanied
by swells that can get big during the winter months.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
If I could catch Wrasse like that on lures, I wouldn't worry too much about the bass. Cracking fishing any time of year - well done, Liam.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Best I could manage today was 4lb 1oz, will post the pics later. Gaz lost a nice Bass, just took off straight out to sea with his rod bent double, the fish must have been lightly hooked as he had not felt the take so did not strike into it.

Griff - There is so many Wrasse over here, your almost guarenteed a fish of 4lb per trip. I can't remember the last time I went lure fishing just for Bass, Wrasse fight so hard its addictive!

I heard a rumour there was a 7lb Bass caught over here today, does anyone know if it was shore or boat?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 7lb bass was on the boat don't like walking :muttley: . Today was hard going only 1 bass first cast but no sign of any fish after that. Had one yesterday as well at 3 and a half lb.

Planning to go and have a go again tomorrow wasn't to bad out there today warmer then yesterday.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Sorry for the poor pic, I think Gaz was telling me to tilt the fish. I obviously was not listening!

Well done on the Bass Triton, did it go well in the cold water?

Going for first light tomorrow morning, hopefully for a Bass. Then off to meet Keith I think for some more Wrasse fishing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It wasn't a bad scrap some of the smaller bass we had in November went better.

Any size bass is nice to have on lures this time of year.

Good luck for tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts