The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between one thing and another, i havent been out Bass fishing locally since before the Jersey Fest :shock:, so with the snow thawing up here in Caveman Land, i decided that a trip to the Gower was in order this morning. Luke opted to have a lie-in (not that i set-off that early), so it was a one-man Bumble :D.

As the winds & swell were both low, it seemed an ideal opportunity to give my new Red Luck Tactical a run-out :wackit:. I packed a nice selection of s/p's, some light Jig Heads, and i was ready to rumble (no hard lures made the team this morning).

The water clarity was fairly pants, but doable :???:, & i decided to start-off with a paddle-tail. What became quickly apparent, is that the Tactical has far more backbone than it's slim-line blank suggests . . . it's a little beauty :wackit2:. I was able to feel everything, demonstrated by the fact that in a 3hr session, over a pretty gnarly reef, i only lost one Jig Head & s/p.

So, 20mins into the session, and whilst working my s/p 'slow & low', everything went tight !!! FISH ON !!!! The Tactical coped very nicely with a fit, hard-fighting, Welsh Shirley, & i got her onto the rocks for a photo-opportunity . . . .

& a close up . . . .

The fat, fin-perfect Shirley was quickly returned into the warmth of the water, and she shot off strongly :D.

I fished-on for a while hoping to connect with some of her friends, but nothing doing. So, i was home in time for dinner and to decorate the tree, with a full set of Brownie-Points in tact . . happy days :D.

I have a feeling that the rod may prove to be a cracking HRF tool, and i cant wait to try her out on the Wrasse . . . . . . . early days, but i'm seriously impressed with her after the first outing :D.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Nice fish Simon, and worth the early start I'd say. How do you find the casting distance with the tactical?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well done nice fish!! I managed to scrape one off the top yesterday to my suprise!!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Nice one Si.............

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice fish Simon, and worth the early start I'd say. How do you find the casting distance with the tactical?

I had to adjust my casting style a little, as the Tactical has a very different action to my other rods. It casts perfectly well though (suprisingly well for such a short rod). When using a 5g Jig Head, i seemed to be hitting the sweet-spot, and was able to get the lure as far as was required. No complaints at all.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
mr lewis strikes again !!!!!!!! well done si

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Lovely job Si, love the feel of these lighter-than-we-imagined-possible rods getting used these days.

:clap: Well done old boy :p:clap:

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Nice fish Si, you said they would still be there, well done :clap:

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Very Nicely done Si,
Great to hear the Tactical is doing the business as well-very interesting your comments that it could be an awesome HRF rod.
Well Done

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I had to adjust my casting style a little, as the Tactical has a very different action to my other rods. It casts perfectly well though (suprisingly well for such a short rod). When using a 5g Jig Head, i seemed to be hitting the sweet-spot, and was able to get the lure as far as was required. No complaints at all.
Thanks Simon, I'm interested cos I'd like to know how it compares to something like the injection. I'm thinking of a shorter rod for my SP work but the injection is difficult for me cos of it's long section length

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well done, Si. Interesting to see bass still around the Welsh coast in mid-December. We didn't find any bass until May at the start of this season so we are starting to find the seasonal limits I guess? You do love those One-Up shads now, don't you :)

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks Simon, I'm interested cos I'd like to know how it compares to something like the injection. I'm thinking of a shorter rod for my SP work but the injection is difficult for me cos of it's long section length

It's a completely different rod to the Injection. In terms of portability though, it's at the opposite end of the scale - it splits into equal sections, and a couple of 3ft lengths are no bother to transport.

I'd say it's a tad stiffer than the Injection, but i was able to maintain contact with the s/p's at all times. The Injection is a foot longer overall, and is rated at 5 - 28g, as opposed to 3 - 20g for the Tactical. If the seas or winds were up, i'd probably have taken the Injection instead, as it offers a few more options on that front (& is extremely capable with hard plastic). I'll hopefully get around to trying the Tactical in Freshwater in the next couple of weeks, and we'll see how she copes with a Croc (i'm betting she'll be just fine ;)). I have the 2500 Rarenium on it, loaded with YGK (the 17lb version), and the whole thing just felt incredibly well balanced & was a complete pleasure to use :D.

I fished it for around half the session with a 3g Jig Head, and had plenty of feel. I swapped to a 5g Head for the 2nd-half of the session, and was able to get a few extra yards on the cast.

That was only it's first outing for me, so i'm conscious of not over-selling it before i've really put it through its paces. Delighted so far though :D.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts