The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was chatting with my neighbour Ralph, who I've just started sharing an allotment with, and we were talking about finding time to do things. I mentioned that I was always trying to find time to go fishin' and he said that he likes to go fishing too. This was news to me (we've only lived next door to each other for 3yrs!) So I say "do you want to go" he says "when" I say "now?!" "give me 15 mins" says he, and off we went! I'm really starting to like my neighbour.....

Off we went to The Sound, him with his telescopic rod and napsack, me with my car full of gear - the Punto's become a 2 seater-only of late. Got down there bang on high water and it was really misty with a southerly force 1 blowing. We tried off a reef down the south side of the cafe where the tide was really ripping through. He'd brought some frozen lug and ensconsed himself on the comfiest rock he could find, I was on the end of a little spit of rock trying to roll an xlayer in the surge of water racing over a reef into the relative calm behind. After half a dozen attempts at different distances, I got a big knock and struck immediately, fish on! It was a callig of about 3 or 4 lb giving the firefly a taste of the big time. Managed after a lot of screaming exage 2500 to get it to where I could see it when it just swam off, line went dead, nothing! Reeled in and the tip of the jighead hook was broken orf! Bugger!
tide..jpg X marks the spot.

After a bit the wind got a real chill to it, and as we hadn't have a nibble since then, Ralph suggested that we move round the corner to a spot more out of the wind. After a bit of mountaineering (bloody enormous rod case etc) we got down to fairly flat bit and had a go. Ralph'd decided to get his lure (one lure! (I'm laughing at myself!)) out instead of the lug A bit like this one but orange and about 30g. I continued with the xlayer. The tides were crazy down here, cast out 50yds and it was running left to right, as the lure came round in an arc closer to land the tide was running right to left so I could cover a huge area with a 4" xlayer and 5g jighead. After a couple of tries the lure came back to me and was swirling around in an eddy in front of and bang, very decisive bite and another callig on, this time a 2 1/2 lb-er.
Callig200520..jpg
We eventually had about 5 each, 2 of Ralph's were sh/ttys but they were all of ever decreasing size down to about 1/4 lb in the end! A great time was had, and as we were leaving the mist decided to roll back and I took a pic on my new phone (never had a camera on a phone before!) of The Calf and the mist rolling up it off the sea.
Calf200510..jpg
The Thusla Cross in the foreground (a memorial to a shipwreck), Kitterland in the mid and The Calf in the background

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report Tim amd well done, should be no stopping you now !

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Tim! Great report. Lovely looking place too! I bet the bigger pollack put a proper bend in the firefly!!

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice one Tim! Great report. Lovely looking place too! I bet the bigger pollack put a proper bend in the firefly!!
It certainly did Bennyboy, fantastic battle, at one point the reel was showing the mono backing through, so it must have taken 80 yds or so off me...
Its good to see you shed the blanker status Tim, onwards and upwards!
Cheers Mark, it's been a tough few months. Where I was getting a bit despondent a couple of weeks ago, now I can't wait to get out again.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Excellent report. Well done. Size doesn't matter is the effort that counts.
You just need to keep going now. Being 'tuned in' is worth it's weight in gold.

PS

Those firefly rods actually turned out ok in the end didn't they.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Great work, lovely report . . . .

"The greater the difficulty the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests." Epictetus

:clap:

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those firefly rods actually turned out ok in the end didn't they.
I'm loving the Firefly, considering we all took a punt on them. As I posted before, the Bushwacker feels like a clothes pole now!
Good read, enjoyed the report
Cheers Mark, it was an uplifting sesh.
"The greater the difficulty the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests." Epictetus
Nice quote Si!

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am Master Blanker this season so far Nige, on this occasion it was a jolly nice sesh, a bit of company helps too...

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers Pete and Kev. Going out on the boat in 1/2 hour, first trip out since march! Loads of basking sharks about at present, excellent Firefly material... :wink:

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Tim
Five of us went out on kayaks yesterday for four hours, fishing shads, spinners, lures, flies & plastics. Not a sniff of a fish, lots of small sand eels in the water, we fished around the Queens Pier & the rocks around Port Lewaigue & up to about a mile off. All we caught was the sun.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We went out on the boat for four hours today, left at high tide and the sea was like oil, flat calm. Went down the Calf Stack, one of my favourite spots. Fished for an hour with no bites. Went out for a drift across the Warts, as usual nothing.
Came back into the bottom of Spanish head and after an hour with nothing again, moved in 30 yards and started hauling a callig every drop. Had a about 6 each, best was about 4lb (excellent sport on the Firefly!) which will be my tea tomorrow. It was about the worst tide-state and very bright sunlight so we were chuffed!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts