The Lure Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the seasion begins i need to get the boat serviced, but am not shore on where to go? I got a quoat today for £200 labor providing that nothing is wrong with the engine, which seamed a little steep to me, as it is only a 25hp motor.

Where dose everyone on hear go to get their boats serviced?

Thanks

Gareth

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Before the seasion begins i need to get the boat serviced, but am not shore on where to go? I got a quoat today for £200 labor providing that nothing is wrong with the engine, which seamed a little steep to me, as it is only a 25hp motor.

Where dose everyone on hear go to get their boats serviced?

Thanks

Gareth
Hi Gaz

Welcome to the so called equivalent of standing in the shower tearing up £10 notes.

I once read that Jersey is the most expensive place to get an outboard serviced. No sh*t Sherlock!

But if you want to preserve your warranty then take care where you go.

Or buy an Etec. You'll have smacked a rock a long time before the "It'll run for years without a service" period comes to an end.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hi Gaz

we had our outboard (10hp Honda) serviced Feb 2009 at Fox marine, cost about £85.

It needs another service now for the season ahead, but we've heard the service engineer has gone to south pier shipyard, so we'll make a few enquiries before deciding.

Hope this helps

Gary

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes thats right the honda service engineer that was working at Fox Marine is now working at South Pier Marine.

£45 sounds good value, GT Marine are charging £60!

A 25hp cant take more than a couple of hours to service i would have thought.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks chaps, £45 an hour sounds much more reasonable to me.

Liam, if i let my uncle service my boat, I would prob end up with underfloor heating and a wood burning stove!!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
service

If your past the warranty stage you could do your own.Change engine oil & gear box oil,new oil filter,new plugs,new anodes,clean fuel filter, flush with fresh water making sure theres plenty of water coming out of the outlets & tell tail, if theres not you may have to change the impeler.Something that i think is very important is to drain & dry your fuel tank,you'll be amazed how much water there is in it sometimes.Just doing this every 100 hours or so can save you a lot of aggro.Its
not your fault that water gets in,its condesation in yours or your suppliers tanks,more than half the lumpy engines i've seen have been due to water in the fuel.
By getting to know my engines i found i serviced them more regulary than if i had to pay for servicing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Steve, thought it best i get someone else to do it, me and engines don't get on too well!

Got it booked in with South Pier next week. Cheers Guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts