The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snuck out of work abit early today, and inspite of the rain and wind. I thought it was bass time. So fought my way through the traffic, grabbed my gear and headed for the mark.
Arrived alittle early, But the rain meant I had the mark to myself. Well after service above and beyound last time it was the Asura out of the box first.
About 20 minutes later I had a good take, but there was a hell of lot of current and somehow the bass managed to hook the lure into the rocks, and unhook itself-One very smart bass that!!
Recovered my plug, and fished on for a while. After another 20 minutes, I thought it was time for a change lure wise, something a little shallower felt right, So on went a Jackson Slim Athelete 120 in the RBO/RKO colour.
Seemed I guessed right, a couple of casts later I was in again, and loosing line in the current. I practiced my 50 meter slip, slide and crash over rocks at high speed and managed to angle the bass into a area of slack water. And slide about 3lb-3.5lb (56cm) of chubby Sussex bass into the edge.
Only hooked by one point on the rear treble, so popped it free, grabbed a pic or two, and back into the drink it went. Splashed shed loads of water all over me as it took off

Well the clouds had darkened by now, and a few flashes of lightning brought my fishing to a stop, before the best bit of the tide. But on the way out I meet an older gentleman, who was also there fishing. It turned out he has fished that area for better part of twenty years. An absolute goldmine of information, and really nice guy. So chatted to him for a while comparing notes on marks around the area. Until the heavens opened, and a much closer flash of lightning, had me thinking about hold 9'7" of high conductive carbon. So packed up and headed home.
Great session (not a blank!!) met someone that has forgotten more bass and fishing locally than I probably ever know.
Reason for the title?? At one point we could see four different rainbows from where we were fishing!!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Dave, great report and pics :-D

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great report Dave...nice fish.!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Dave!!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jon, with the way the weather forecasts are for the next couple of days, it was a now or possibably wait for a few days. Definately can't go that long without fishing. Bit of rain is fine, but the lightning was a bit worrying.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nice work Dave. Seems the fishing is pretty good up your way at the moment? Not sure what the water will be like after this weather but fingers crossed we can find something fishable for the weekend.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Nice one Dave! Braver than me as I wimped out in the last few days. The forecast doesnt look great but should be good fishing once this clears.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Guys,
Yes James into triple figures bass wise (as long as you count the schoolies)
I have been fishing alot harder this year, at least two dawn sessions a week, with normally another session snuck in somewhere each week. Alot of blanks early on this year as the bass were so late this year. I have also been trying to fish smarter as well, been making use of alot of the good information posted on this board, and it is making a big difference. Plus the generous way several local anglers have passed information to me with regards marks and when they fish is giving me more options to match mark to conditions. Has to be said the current weather is going to slow things a bit for the next couple of days. But hoping the weekend will give me a chance at some of the bigger bass that tend to move inshore after a good blow, fingers crossed!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts