The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone know a UK source for these trebles? Everyone seems to stock 66s or the black short shank incurved point ones, 36s I think..

Cheers

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
David,
I got some from Reels and Deals in Weymouth earlier in the year-Might be worth a call to see if they still have some.
Come to think of it-I will be needing a load shortly-either ST46 or Owner Cutting Points.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I have these at the moment, they are barbless, struggling to get the barbed ones in size 6 to 4 really, but thye wont be long

These are ST46

And these are a little thicker gauge and are ST56

Just adding them to my site today actually as Henry has done a nice artical on his blog about barbless hooks, great read in fact

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
FYI owner trebles go according to several factors. ST refers to stinger treble, the 4 (in 46) refers to the gauge of wire, the 6 (in 46) refers to the point and barb.
So... ST46 is strong gauge wire with standard barb and point, ST41 would be same gauge with inturned 'cutting point' barb
...... ST36 and ST31 are obviously lighter and ST66 heavier.
...... Owner than add different finishes as a suffix like TN for tin, BC black chrome, RD red
...... They also do some in barbless and they have an BL after the ST so STBL41TN for example.

Most standard trebles fitted to a multitude of Japanese lures are ST46TN's but a good alternative is the ST41TN

Just given for general info for those who get confused with it all.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, nice work guys. Just ordered some ****, cheers.

I know this is going against the grain a bit but I do prefer to debarb my own trebles rather than buying barbless. With singles I reckon you get a nicer hook up on a fully barbless hook but with trebles I prefer there to be a bump where the barb was.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I know this is going against the grain a bit but I do prefer to debarb my own trebles rather than buying barbless. With singles I reckon you get a nicer hook up on a fully barbless hook but with trebles I prefer there to be a bump where the barb was.
Thats interesting Dave, and I have wondered myself, but I am going to be replacing alot of my hooks with these as they require it, I am hoping for less damage to the fish and myself!!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
It will be interesting to see how this all pans out as there are a few in the predator world who ban barbless trebles when specimen Perch fishing. Now a perch isn't the size of a Bass but there's the theory that barbless trebles penetrate flesh further than barbed or even de-barbed hooks as David mentions. Catch 22 I guess, do you damage flesh with a barb or do you puncture right through to some vital organ or blood supply. Don't know myself what the anatomy of a Bass/Pollack is like compared to a Perch but they are greedy buggers too. Who knows? I wonder what the risks are in going all barbless for all lures regardless. Anyone have a view on that?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is an interesting topic, maybe a moderator could move this to a new topic name?

Where possible I prefer not to use trebles at all as I feel I lose a lot of fish but as someone else said, Henry on his blog i think, some lures don't swim nicely with singles. Where possible I'll use two singles back to back with masking tape or something that can break on a hook up. Once a fish is pinned on one of these rigs he generally won't come unbuttoned.

Just wondering what it is about changing out the trebles to singles that messes with the swimming action of the lure, it can only be the weight or the drag through the water.. One of those should be easy to offset, the other slightly less so..

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will be interesting to see how this all pans out as there are a few in the predator world who ban barbless trebles when specimen Perch fishing. Now a perch isn't the size of a Bass but there's the theory that barbless trebles penetrate flesh further than barbed or even de-barbed hooks as David mentions. Catch 22 I guess, do you damage flesh with a barb or do you puncture right through to some vital organ or blood supply. Don't know myself what the anatomy of a Bass/Pollack is like compared to a Perch but they are greedy buggers too. Who knows? I wonder what the risks are in going all barbless for all lures regardless. Anyone have a view on that?
I remember reading an article back in the 80's which demonstrated the effect of using big single hooks for perch, it's something to do with where their heart is positioned and their tendency to inhale baits. Basically a deepish hookup with the hook point facing down goes straight through their heart and kills them stone dead. Unfortunate anatomical arrangement..

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Any hook that goes deep into the fishes mouth/throat can tear a gill raker or rip a gullet open Andy. Pollack are notorious for swallowing lures. Bass seem to do it in rough conditions more than others, maybe they are "making sure" they get that prey.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Great, nice work guys. Just ordered some ****, cheers.

Personally especially with Pike and Zander fishing, since the midd 80s I swapped to using "De-barbed" trebles and not the fully barbless ones.
I have tried the fully barbless ones before and I didnt like them at all.
I like the very slight "witness" that is left from a properly de- barbed hook,it really does make a difference to the hook hold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts