The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wotcha
I went down Shoreham beach this evening, mostly because the opportunity arose (family all out til later) and I've been itching to try out the new rod (a Grauvell teklon 802) and have a go at 'walking the dog' with my new Patchinko, not expecting to catch and on that front I wasn't disappointed.
All was well, low tide and a moderate westerly meant conditions were fine for a few casts before dark. The rod felt good, really light and the lure looked lovely dancing in the 6" surf at the slightest twitch of the wrist. Easy.
On about my 20th cast I decided to put a little more speed in to it to see what the geat could do...
And the bail shut as the rod came over, a 'crack' and off sailed the lure and leader, with a faint splash it was over.
So an expensive little half hour, never cracked off when that's happened before, on 15lb power pro.
Must be my new super powerful casting!
Better luck next time
Mike

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Mike - so sorry to hear it. Especially with a new £20 plug! I had some bail arm issues for the first time last weekend on my Shimano Exage 4000 but luckily no crack-offs as we were pike fishing at close range. Would have bene gutted to lose a noce bass lure like that. Hopefully someone here can offer some advice on how you can avoid a repeat...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Was the water too cold for a daring lure retrive, i fair crap my self when the expensive lures are on i tend to shy away from the in my bag for lesser types lol,

sorry to hear you lost your new friend

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I hate that lost a patchinko last year after doing something stupid, casting into somewhere i shouldnt have braid got tangled in rocks and snaped with the crashing waves....

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Mike,

I will be wearing a black arm band and be in mourning for you all tomorrow !

My deepest sympathy on your loss !

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Mike, Get yourself down there tomorrow morning/evening and have a look along the high tide mark-especially near to the outside of the west arm. There is a good chance with the current onshore winds that it will be washed back in. Give me a shout sometime and we could meet up for a bash.

Reactions: Dr.Thomas k

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Mike, Get yourself down there tomorrow morning/evening and have a look along the high tide mark-especially near to the outside of the west arm. There is a good chance with the current onshore winds that it will be washed back in. Give me a shout sometime and we could meet up for a bash.
Dave,
I might just do that.... ;-) oops wrong Mike!!!

I had a similar experience last year. I had a brand new Daiwa Shore Line Shiner SL17 and knocked the bail closed by accident during a cast and it disappeared for good. It was still dark at the time. I must have spent an hour looking for that lure including going back to the beach twice during the day so I feel your grief!!!! I hope you find it.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Get Iestyn down there with you - one cast with a rusty old nail, and he'll hook it and give it back to you (for a small fee ;) ) !!

I stripped down to my undercrackers last year in France to retrieve a Patchinko . . .. . got the pics to prove it too . . . . . :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've stood there casting another surface lure for an hour in an attempt to get the snapped off one back. Worked too !! :) And I told myself it was OK cause I was still fishing when I missed hooking up the snapped off lure. Quite what any self repecting bass would've thought though, they saw the same lure travelling across the same bit of water over and over for an hour !!

Nice to hear the Teklon works well. I'm gonna invest soon, but my car costing £750 to repair has delayed things somewhat !

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
One thing that I found helped last year when I lost a Tide Minnow 200 on its first outing(!!) was to make sure that you have a birdsnest of line tangled around the lure you're casting out at it! I did it by accident when my line got tangled, but I'd actually intentionally wind a big bunch of tangled line around my casting lure if it happened again. The birdsnest on your back treble is waaaaaaaaaay more likely to catch the drifting lure than the trebles on the lure alone. You don't need to be so accurate either.

·
Registered
207 Posts
One thing that I found helped last year when I lost a Tide Minnow 200 on its first outing(!!) was to make sure that you have a birdsnest of line tangled around the lure you're casting out at it! I did it by accident when my line got tangled, but I'd actually intentionally wind a big bunch of tangled line around my casting lure if it happened again. The birdsnest on your back treble is waaaaaaaaaay more likely to catch the drifting lure than the trebles on the lure alone. You don't need to be so accurate either.
Good idea !! I may take a birdsnest with me from now on. Just tucked away in the corner of my bag just in case !

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Well worth it Mike! Doesn't need to be too messy. Even half a dozen trailing loops will be enough.

...just take the eggs out first eh?! :wink:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers for your replies chaps. I woke up this morning and the first thing I thought was why the bloody hell didn't I just wade in and look about? I must have been in shock.
I finish work early tomorrow so i'm taking the kids down straight after school for a bit of beach combing.
Mike

·
Registered
364 Posts
i had the same thing happen with my exage reel last summer at chapmans pool. me and my mate hadn't had a bit all morning then, bail arm issues, snapped braid and lost chug bug, 4ft leader, swivel and a good length of braid...

another surface lure for each of us and half an hour of casting at it to try a hook up - trouble was we kept hitting pollack..... typical... we hooked a good few of them before I managed to retrieve the chug bug. you wouldn't believe it....

i'm now very careful with knots/ leader/ bail arm etc after buying more expensive lures...

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Hi Mike sorry to hear of your loss. Black armbands for a week! Any joy at Shoreham yet. I fish the seaford/eaastbourne stretch but havent really got going this year as my spys tell me not much in yet!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts