Patchinko how do you work yours | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Patchinko how do you work yours

Discussion in 'Surface Lures' started by {name}, Jan 26, 2012.

1. hi all when't out on Sunday for a play with my new boxs of tricks
    i dont know how best to work the Patchinko II and Xorus Frosty II Nacre i was working them from the rocks i started walk the dog which looked good but then i try holding the rod up and some twitching it was jumping about then so what or where am i going wrong
    or is that how they work ? (novice as you can tel lol ) new to all this but doing ok some times.

But no fish on the Quantum Salsa Spin 240 (8ft) 25-55g and the lure where not as well worked as with my cheap old Berkley Cherrywood 8ft 9-28g (rod is a lot heavier to hold than the quantum ) getting a new rod soon going for some thing in the 5g-30g range 8ft or 9ft not yet pick it tho :

So need to see how there meant to look and be worked so if you know of some vids that i can see hows best to work them that be help full

2. Snapper

Sorry but its the best I could find :wink:
    If you do a youtube search for walk the dog though you should find other instructional vids.
    To be honest I use them more with a slow slide rather than wtd and that works for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Banned

Hi Craig.

The Patchinko is my best surface lure by far, but to be honest this time of year is not ideal for surface lures. Thats not to say that you wont catch on them as I have had a couple of fish on the surface in the past month, but most of my fish have come from lures fished a lot deeper. I know that some of the other members on here that fish the same marks that I do have had similair results.

When I do fish the Patchinko I always make it lively. Either as a twitched lure splashing then stopping for periods, or working it really hard but with a slow retrieve. Having said that I know some like Ade C work it pretty slow and steady. Alternate till you find what works on the day.

I think hard and slow when its windy and slow and steady when its calm.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snapper

• Like Like x 1
  5. Striper

To be honest i don't think there's a special way to fish a certain lure.Yes patchinkos are walk the dog lures but you can use them so differently and it will make a huge difference.It all depends on the day what triggers the bass to take.Ide start slow and lazy walk the dog,wide sweeps.Then if no response more tighter and faster...maybe more of a head up action until they hit. If its windy with crests make a bow in your line so the patchinko shoots across in a straightline to your left or right.Many occasions ive used surface lures this way and it attracts interest..Then if all else fails tie on a bug;)
    cheers daz

ps..solid colour patchinkos can be deadly at night with a ultra slow v wake..cmon April :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Junior Member

you work it like a crazy fool, so that when the first bass takes both of the eyes come off. If it still has eyes on after you hit your first fish you aren't doing it properly.

7. Salmon

Trust me, DON'T watch that second video!!

Right patchinkos, I have caught on:
    a very slow retrieve, with zero action
    by leaving it in place and shaking the rod it to make it vibrate
    slow sliding
    very gentle wide wtd right through the full on fit mode, wher it it spalshing and bouncing clear of the water.
    No "right" way to workl them, just bang it out, and try a couple of different retrieves until the bass hit-Shouldn't take long.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Plastic Fantastic

Well I love the Patchinko's and especially the small baby one in 500g.
    I recon I must work my lures much much Much slower than most and like a gentle rythmic glide from side to side with a bit of interuption thrown into the mix.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Salmon

This is "THE MASTER" showing his skills with the patchinko. I use them alot and catch plenty of bass on them. But Bob (admin here) is the Master!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhcUUl2ifQU

Nick,
    Same here slow gentle wtd gets most hits-If it is bubbling-it is over worked around here-Unless it is rough.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Snapper

Dave,
    I'm interested to know why you don't rate the second video? I watched that and read his blog where it talks about stopping the lure when you see a follow and caught my first one off the top?

11. Chub

Agreed love to watch that video.

12. Mackerel

Can't believe you are saying don't watch the second video Dave?? Henry Gilbey is a master bass fisherman! Myself and a lot of friends have used a lot of his techniques and tips and had spectacular results? Be interested why you dont like his video?? :rollineyes:

13. Junior Member

probably because the lure doesn't seem to be walking the dog in the video, most of the time it looks like it is being draged in. these are better with a better camera angle too:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Guest

Some great videos there. A thing to remember with patchinkos is not to strike which for me was the most un natural thing to do. A great lure

• Like Like x 1
  15. Salmon

As Sean said, it just ISN'T classic WTD, you should get a nice even swing left and right. Once you mastered that THEN you can play with it.
    The real "trick" to WTD isn't jiggling the rod around , it is the pull on the twitch, and then giving slack allowing the lure to swing. Teaching videos are best left to those like Bob on here, that has forgotten more about the technique than many of the rest of us will ever learn.
    Oh and stopping the lure, yeah works about 5% of the time (if you are lucky), after all how many baitfish would stop if they were attacked by a bass??, increasing the speed and tempo of the retrieve will get you ALOT more hook ups than stopping.
    Craig is spot on, NEVER strike bass, just wait for the weight and lift into them-Trust me will get you alot more bass on the beach than striking.
    Both of the Patchinkos are absolutely deadly lures, and surprisingly effective no matter what the conditions, caught on them in dead calm all the way through to 8' rolling surf.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Snapper

Thanks for your clarification on the video Dave,

Thing is though I guess what Henry is conveying is what works for him and as I previously stated it has helped me catch Bass to. No I'm not saying that stopping the lure works everytime, but again it did work when I caught my first off the top. After all plenty on here can refer to times when Bass take a static lure, especially when taking them off the top.
    As you said also there is "no right way to work them", there are different methods for different days. Personally I have had the most success with the patch using a slow slide.

I think the not striking is totally right, infact when using braid i think its pretty bad angling to do so, as the lack of stretch can cause hooks to rip out of a fishes mouth. But honestly, thats pretty much instinctive for me.

It would be good to see more instructional videos from Lure forum anglers for sure, but I can hand on heart say I have learnt as much listening to people like Henry Gilbey and Graham Hill as I have from members on this forum. Long may it continue.

17. Sea Trout 2015 Bass Challenge Winner

Got to agree with Dave on this, the Patchinko is probably one of the lures that has the most variation of retrieve that you will find. line type and diameter also effect the action .keep a regular twitch ,twitch wind twitch and not too big a twitch.a good technique is to try your twitch too the left for a whole retrieve and then do the same to the right you will then start to see the differance in action then you can mix it .i never go mad and fast and have had some fantastic sessions you soon know what is right as it will look good and feel good .

18. Salmon

Lee,
    Great to hear the Patchinko is catching you fish, However you fish it.

Trouble is Lee, Experience is the best teacher, be it blanking, or hours of wrist cramping wtd practice, going out when it is cold and wet, or night after night. Videos of someone that really doesn't understand what they trying to explain might seem great to those that are new to the sport. And if it encourages people to try new things then all well and good. But trust me, once you have put in the hours yourself-They just don't look the same.
    For some people it is ALL about catching bass, they will work harder, fish longer, hike further, and study harder to catch more bass.Just because they LOVE to catch bass. And some people want to be famous, they don't want to put in the hours, bass to them are just a ticket to some imagined goal or fame and fortune. Me, I will continue to listen to those (like many of our forum members) that have put in the hours, and really understand what they are talking about. I will spend hours practicing what they kindly share information wise, because in the end it will hopefully make me a better fisherman. But I don't listen to people that just want to have "profile", or think they can baffle people with second hand information, the "cut and paste" generation have no respect for experience, which is their loss. I have nearly 30 years of lure fishing, years of guiding, and working in the tackle trade in my back ground-and I am still learning, still practicing, and hopefully slowly getting better. Passing on what you learn is some thing special, not to be done for gain. I have been lucky to have fished with many famous real fishermen. The guys that have written classic books, started whole new types of fishing, targetted species that no one thought were possible to catch. Trust me it gives you a whole new view of the fishing world.

19. Snapper

With respect Dave I am not exactly new to the sport and neither am I out for fame.
    I am new to alot of things in lure fishing for sure, but I don't feel the need to justify how many hours I put in or how far I walk to marks either.
    I to appreciate telling people what little I have gleaned and put into practice and feel it makes me at least of some value on the forum.
    People learn in different ways and at different speeds and thankfully we will all keep learning and growing as both people and anglers till the day we meet our maker.
    But I am not really sure if your post is a dig at me or Henry and while I dont mind a debate it would be good to clarify on that point.

20. Salmon

Lee, Absolutely NOTHING agianst you, I am very sorry if you felt my post was directed at you in that way.