The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm a newbie to the forum, should have joined a long while ago.
I've tied some different patterns for bass, but fancy having a crack at the profusion of mullet that
frequent the West Wales marks. I'd like to know a bit more about the patterns that are effective for
mullet (on their day, of course). The only ones that I've tied so far are red tags and bread flake/
crust. Someone also mentioned that they'll respond to pre-baiting with dog mixer, then introducing
one super-glued to a hook. I've fly fished this way for carp to some degree of success, so would be
interested to hear if anyone else has tempted a grey ghost to this method.

Darren.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
red tag, black spiders, treacle parkin, soldier palmer.

many small wet fly patterns work but there has been a leaning (for us) toward grayling patterns.

go small...

12 - 16

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Darren

I have know people have success on a fly tied to look like a piece of that light green sea weed that mullet seem to graze on. Easy to tie I would imagine. As Keith says small hooks. I will see if I can find a picture of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Keith, I was wondering if buzzers would work as I know that they feed on maggots that build up in the rotting sea weed. I've never tried it was just a thought. I have caught a couple of mullet fishing in brackish water on olive bubbles off the top. This was by accident as I thought I was casting to trout rising, hell of a fight. I've never caught any in the open sea.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Have tried it but ...

though I have caught on a buzzer team, it flunked remarkably ?
Why ?

I think they were sinking too fast.

Mullet like slow sinking flies and seem resistant to leader getting stuck in the surface film.
Very fussy and VERY fast at sucking in and blowing out the flies.

I think the grayling patterns and the spiders just sink that little bit slower and lift off the deck with the silt easier when Mullet go sifting.

In current and in the dark, most small wetflies are great.

I forgot to mention but the Invicta pattern is also great summer/autumn and...

gold, real shiny gold flies are great with any colour in the water.

hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts