The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have not posted for a while but feel I need to share this one with you. Have over the last month or so been studying the movements of Bass around my favorite area. And this culiminated in landing my new personal best last sunday. Through understanding where the bass are moving I have been able to intercept passing shoals en-route to an area they stay in for the second half of the pushing tide. This has been great as you can stand in one spot and just keep doing what youre doing until they pass and inevitably like clockwork they pass. From this location have had some great sport with fish up to 5lb, nearly all falling to the giant xlayer on decoy violence weedless jig heads. This has been my mainstay for weeks now but I recently wondered where the fish were heading to. After hitting the spot at low and fishing it up to 2hrs after low I decided to move 1/2 mile along the coast to a completely different shore set up. I felt this would be the place the bass were heading as there is a natural corral point for bait fish that the bass are hounding. The corral feature are lines of boulders going out into the sea from a sandy beach. I have been working the patchinko2 yellow (the mutts nuts) along the lines of boulders just as the tide has been covering them over and have been almost instantly into fish or have had numerous bumps and violent swirls. Last sunday got to the boulders at about half tide and hopped out along the boulders until I got to where the water was just submerging them. 2nd cast and fish on 2lb but smacked the lure like a freight train. Over the next 15mins had several hits and bumps, often two fish having a crack at the lure at the same time! But no hook ups. All the while I was being pushed back along the boulders by the tide. I made a cast out over the opposite line of boulders and retrieved in my usual violent manner but was distracted by something on the beach behind me and turned and looked over my shoulder. By doing this I left the patchinko motionless on the surface about 15 m in front of me. As I looked back to my lure I just caught sight of the flank of a large bass that had just plucked my lure off the top. Not a violent take but just reminded me of a carp taking bread off the surface. I wound down into it and as soon as he felt me he went bezerk. I instantly realised this was the biggie and after a good 5 mins of fight and bowing to him I felt I had cracked the back of him and as I was now stood on a boulder knee deep in water realised I had to walk him back to a dry rock or the beach. I just managed to hop the submerged rocks back to the last dry one and finally got a grip on him and lifted him out. Needles to say I was shaking like a leaf and whooping for joy at the sight of him in my hand and landed! 74 cms and 8 1/4 lb smashing my previous best of 5.5lb. Funny thing was that afternoon picked up a copy of sea angler and read Mr Gilbeys article all about leaving top waters when the bass are not hooking up on worked top waters. My usual recently when I land a PB fish is that I chuck my phone in the sea after taking pics of them but the gods were on my side this day and hopefully bad karma has turned a blind eye!! Heres the pics (crap nokia phone).
IMG_0577.JPG IMG_0575.JPG IMG_0578.JPG IMG_0576.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Stunning fish Luke :clap: :clap:. Must have been a lean fish, as my pb this season was also 74cm, but was 9lb 3oz. Well done on figuring out the Bass movements !!!! :D

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
FANTASTIC REPORT LUKE OBVIOUSLY YOUR STUDY PAID OFF WELL DONE

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Great result from putting in the effort and working out what was happening there. Very well done.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Fair play on working them out. All too few chances to track down big fish these days.

Simon is right about the length to weight. I have seen a fat 9.10 at 74cm.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies I guess he was lean and it may of been because of a 2inch slash down his flank reckon this had knocked him back a bit. He was hungry though!!! Was there tonight but at the wrong stage of tide and a kayaker came in and showed me his catch, 2 mackerel and a whopping herring of about 1.5lb taken on a toby. Am thinking this is why the biggies are about, they're following the herring?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well done!! Found the Patchinko effective when stopping for 10 secs or so, Also find the Biggies take the lure very confidently very carp like!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lovely fish mate - funny you say he took it like a carp - I had exactly the same experience with my PB last weekend. The big boys don't like to make a fuss!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Luke, that must have been very satisfying after all your hard work. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Good angling skill, very well done.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well done Luke! Thats a nice lean fish, Must be really satisfying knowing that you have sussed the movements out for your area. Congrats on the PB.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Well done on the PB mate!!!! Thats an amazing fish by any standards. Even bigger well done on sussing their movements, not the easiest of tasks and you obviously got it pinned!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Great fish. You know what Luke, I really enjoyed reading that. If you were in BASS you should send it in for an article for the mag. BP says it spot on; that is defo what bassing is all about. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Ian

1 - 20 of 26 Posts